x

Are there any USEFUL updates regarding taxes for Square Online?

Why would I spend all of my time inputting items with their own unique taxes for the POS, but then Square Online decides to ignore all of that?

Were these two systems really created in separate bubbles that don't communicate?

Just another bug in Square that hasn't been fixed nor do they care at all about what their customers actually need. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

Hi @emsroth.  Actually, Square Online already gives us the ability to have our online store taxes mirror our POS taxes, exactly for situations like yours.  I use it, since I only have pickup and no shipping, being a soft serve shop.  As far as I know, Square Online has always had this option available since Square actually gave this some thought, probably during the beta process.  Anyway, here’s how to accomplish what you want.

From your online dashboard, go to Onlihne > Shared Settings > Sales Taxes.  Scroll down to the section labeled “Item level tax rates.”  You’ll see in the description that you can use this to use the same sales taxes as are used on POS for various order fulfillment options.  Toggle on the ones you want (in my case, they are all on).

After that when you change taxes for your items in POS, those changes will be reflected in your online store.  Just remember that if you do ever allow shipping from your Square Online store that you’ll need to review these settings again at that time, since sales taxes on shipping are always based upon destination.

I wish you well.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 4

Hey Chip,

I figured that is what "item level taxes" are. I did everything you suggested, and I still haven't see the taxes appear.

This is an "event" type item, so I am not sure if that means anything. 

I will look through the settings you suggested to see if I missed anything.

Message 3 of 4
Square Champion

@emsroth I’m attaching a couple of screen shots to be sure there is no confusion.  In the first one, you’ll see that while I do have online sales tax for Kentucky set up, I have the setting to automatically apply it toggled off.  The second one shows you the effect of the change made in the first screen shot.  The third one shows the item-level overrides that my online store uses for sales tax calculations. The fourth one shows how my POS sales taxes are set up at Account & Settings > Business Information > Sales taxes. 

With these settings, my online store automatically calculates sales tax for items added to the cart exactly as it does for items rung up on my POS.

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4899.jpeg

IMG_4900.jpeg

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 4 of 4