x

Feature Request: Shared inventory for variations

I just recently started giving shoppers the option of how they want their soaps packaged, wrapped or naked. There is a price difference between the two. BUT I'm working with the same inventory. One batch of soap, packaged one of two ways. But I do not have the option to have one shared inventory (like on Etsy). So I'm manually updating after every single order and just hoping that someone doesn't end up ordering too many of both options on one single soap! 

It seems like this would be as easy as a simple toggle of "Do variations have different inventories?" I would really hate to be able only offer this packaging option on my Etsy shop and not on my website. Because my current system of manually updating is just not sustainable. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @JulieStafford 

You should be able to track inventory for different item variations. Can you post a link to one of the items on your website you are referring to so we can get a better idea of how you have everything setup? 

Message 2 of 5

I can track inventory between variations. I want to have ONE inventory across ALL variations. Not separate inventory for each variation. 

Like I have 7 bars of soap I have not wrapped yet. On my website the customer can choose to have it wrapped or naked, so I have a Wrapped variation and a Naked variation. In my inventory if I set both variations to 7, it thinks I have 14 soaps, which I don’t. If I set one variation to 7 and don’t track inventory on the other, it thinks I have infinite of the one untracked, which I don’t. If I split it up to say 3 wrapped and 4 naked, then if a customer wants 4 wrapped, it won’t allow it even though I have 7 that could be wrapped. 

I just want one inventory and regardless of what variation they choose, it reduces the one inventory of the item. 

Is there a different way to do this I’m unaware of? I see Modifiers as an option, but it appeared to be more liked personalization so I haven’t tried it. Should I be doing under Modifiers instead maybe?

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, modifiers would be a much better option for you since modifiers are not tied to inventory. You can also add an optional fee to cover the cost of supplies. 😊

Here is a help article that goes into more detail on how to setup Item Modifiers in Square Online

Let me know how this goes, and if you have further questions.

Message 4 of 5

Thank you, yes, the Modifiers is exactly what I needed! Perfect solution...if only I had tried it in the beginning. Lol Still lots to learn apparently!

Message 5 of 5