x

Feature request: Open facebook link in app if installed

It would be great if facebook links opened in the facebook app if it is installed on a users device.

Similar to how google maps does this if you tap a google maps link it will open in the google maps app because it's registered (refering to URIs) to open google maps links on the device if it is installed, otherwise it will open in the browser. For facebook links it's a bit different since the app registers separate unique URIs for both android and iOS in order to open in the app.

I used to use a third party service to acomplish the same thing but I decided to remove the link because I have no control over the service. I don't really like using third party services since it could be removed at any time by the developer or take people to a diffrent site. I feel like Square could easily add this functionality.

I think there's probably a way to do this with javascript, but i'm not comfortable implementing this with my level of skill, since it needs to detect android and ios and fall back to browser if it fails to detect/open in app.

I hope all of this makes sense to you guys... I would really love it if square could implement this for everyone who links to their facebook page. Since I'm the type of person that does't like to sign into facebook on the browser, so i'm certain there might be others like me.

i'll leave this link so you guys know what I'm talking about. It's a tool that converts your regular facebook page link into a facebook smart link: 

https://www.piliapp.com/facebook/smart-url/ 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Alumni

Hi there, and welcome to the Seller Community

We appreciate the time you took to share your feature request with us here, @nlopez.

I think this is a new one, as I wasn't able to locate any related threads 

We'll be sure to drop by if we hear any whispers about this. However, I will say that I suspect there may be some limitations on the Facebook side, as I - an Android user - run into Facebook's inability to open in the Facebook app constantly, even when using a Facebook link.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2