x

How do I enable tax rates for my Square Online Store?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Sales Tax enabled and linked but not charged at checkout. HELP!?]

I have completed every step I think to add sales tax to an item in the Square item library for sale in my online shop.

Set up tax

Linked to location

Add to price of item

Enable button

Added to item

I have included shipping in the item price so shipping option shows STANDARD greyed out. 

No tax shows up. I thought it might be due to no shipping selections that would help trigger what taxes apply but I thought we need to charge our own state tax to every product sale now including interstate? My test sale was in state anyway.

Message 1 of 47
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @storybook!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community, and sorry about that. 

It sounds like you've successfully created the taxes for your Square POS store (in person transactions). To set up taxes for your Square Online Store, you'll have to do so by going to the Square Dashboard > Settings > Taxes. Apologies if that was unclear. 

Here is a Support article with a bit more information about tax rates and Square Online Store. Please let me know if you have any questions about this by replying back to me in this thread. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

In Tax Calculations, "Taxes are included in item price" is the Price Inclusive Tax.

Is this correct?

Sorry to make this sound more difficult than it probably is.

And;

Do people/companies really charge taxes on shipping & delivery fees?

I live in California, so maybe other states or countries do this.

Thank you.

Message 22 of 47
Admin

You're totally fine @SMcCaffrey. Just wanted to make sure for myself before I answered!

You're right. When you enable taxes through the Online Store, the tax is included in the item prices

And yes- there are states that require tax on shipping!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 23 of 47

I am having the same problem on my Weebly site.  I have my store and shipping addresses entered, have set the United States to auto-calculate for taxes, and have toggled taxes to "Enable," but when I do a test run to check-out and ship to the state in which my store is located, no taxes appear.  Help, please!

Message 24 of 47
Beta Member

We started at the end of this month with the Square Site.  We only had a few sales, but when I went to go file sales tax for the month, the amount was off.  I have chosen to let Square automatically handle the taxes.  I had sales in 2 different counties in Arkansas.  I have to pay the appropriate tax for each county.  What can I do to fix this?  At the low volume just starting at the end of the month, it wasn't a big deal; however, if this happens on a larger scale, it could be very impactful.  I used a combo of Square invoices and the Square site for sales.  Thanks for the help.

Message 25 of 47
Admin

Hey @CurbsideCafe-

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Square Online and taxes. We don't want you to miss out on any future taxes collected, so please verify that you followed the instructions for set up in this thread. If you have, and are still experiencing the issue you've described, please give us a call. We want to get this resolved for you right away. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 26 of 47
Beta Member

I just realized that the online store will automatically calculate the person's tax in the county in which they live... correct?  However, the invoices are just the standard rate you set up in the Square POS.  Is there a way to have the invoices collect taxes based on where the customer lives?  That may have been my problem.  I will have to dig a little deeper to make sure.

Thanks.....

Message 27 of 47
Alumni

@CurbsideCafe 

You are correct - the Online Store auto calculates while Invoices apply the rate you set up in POS.

I'm afraid Invoices cannot be set up to auto calculate based on customer's address. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 28 of 47

My square store is not calculating the sales taxes. Where do I go to make sure this happens.

Message 29 of 47
Alumni

@MassageMD Hey there! Check out Isabelle's best answer above on this thread I merged you to. 

Justin
Message 30 of 47

Does Square have a means of calculating, collecting and paying out of state sales tax for online sales through a Weebly website?

Message 31 of 47

Up until several months ago the sales tax was being calculated correctly for all items, regardless of whether they were added from the POS or from the appointment screen.  Now, it is hit-and-miss.  The same item will sometimes not show the included sales tax while other times it will.  I cannot see anything being done differently with the times that no sales tax is being included.  Since all items have a price that includes the sales tax, the total is still correct but it is not reported properly.  This causes my sales number and sales tax number reported incorrectly, forcing me to check every day's sales and manually fix any errors.

Message 32 of 47
Beta Member

We recently started selling taxable items.  I set the Ohio sales tax up in Square as well as our Square/ Weebly site.  When I set up an order myself, sales tax is applied.  We have had two people order online, set up for shipping, and sales tax was not applied.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thank you.

Message 33 of 47
Beta Member

It appears that the tax is not being applied when using mobile ordering.  When we order from the laptop it applies the tax.

Message 34 of 47

I cannot get my sales tax to show up on my online item. I have gone through every page I can find to add tax. I don’t know why this can’t be simplified for both in-person and online sales. It’s ridiculous that I’m ready to sell and am still clicking around after 6 hours of digging through loops without making any headway. Were any of the issues listed above fixed? Or, do we need to spend a ton more time for customer service with this issue? 

Message 35 of 47

I think I had to finally get Square support on the line to help me with this.  The online store help people were much better than the regular support people who show up.  I just went in to review how I got it to work. Starting with the main Square dashboard, I went to Online-->Settings-->Taxes-->Add Tax Rate

Since we only do in person orders during our season, we only have a single tax rate for the state on MI

Message 36 of 47

Hi guys, 

I am in the process of opening my new business and would like to have my website work properly.

Unfortunately, I have no idea, what I am doing wrong that when someone wants to add a product to the cart the fees for delivery and taxes show as ZERO, however I have added 13% taxes for example in my Dashboard.

Please advise, where can I find a reason for that problem. I feel helpless...

Message 37 of 47
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AnnaCisloKhan Welcome to the Community 😊

You can check out Square Online Tax Settings for instructions on setting up the taxes for your online store. Please also keep in mind that the taxes will not display until the destination address is entered on the checkout screen. 

Message 38 of 47

Thank you, Bernadette.

I had no idea that the taxes will not display until the destination address is entered on the checkout screen. Does it mean that even though I am located in Ontario I will have to add a different tax to my products if selling them outside Ontario?

Sorry, if my questions are silly, but I am still new to Canada.

Message 39 of 47
Beta Member

I am also having issues with this feature. I have applied the tax rates several times but they don’t seem to be showing up on check out. I have gone as far as to add my address and it is still not adding a tax to the subtotal. Using an iPad and desktop with identical results.

Message 40 of 47
Alumni

I'm happy to take a look at your website and run through checkout to see what I notice if you share a link with me here!

If you haven't already, it may be worth giving us a call about this, @trinalyn.

Our team can take a look at your account with you to help a shine light here! Since we don't have the ability to discuss account-specific details with you openly here in the Seller Community, please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Valentina
Message 41 of 47

this is not helpful bc its still not working 

Message 42 of 47