x

In Person Selling

Will I get charged a % for using the Magstripe Reader if I own a business commerce website? I see on the website there is a 0% fee for processing transactions, is that the same if I process transactions in person? For reference I am a mobile car detailer and once the job is complete we go to the customers door step and have them pay for our services.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

Hi Trevor2,

Assuming you are using Square's POS App and you swipe a credit card, the Fee is 2.6% plus $.10.   There is always a fee for any transaction - not sure where you noticed 0% processing, perhaps sharing that link or URL would be helpful to see.

See this link for a detailed explanation of Square's Fees.

You can also setup your smart phone for Tap and Pay (iPhone) or Tap and Pay (Android) - no additional hardware needed.  When accepting only "swipe" type transaction, there is something called a "Liability Shift" to consider.  Suggest reading the details here.

Message 2 of 7

I am looking at the commerce basic website and it says 0% fees. I'm unsure what that means to the POS App. I'm trying to figure out if I have a processing fee buying the commerce website for my business or if I have to pay a fee.

https://www.squarespace.com/pricing.

Trevor2_0-1712417020151.png

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

That is correct - a basic Square website is FREE.   The Square POS App is also free.  You only pay processing fees if you sell something either online or in person.  If you need more features like your own Domain Name or other options - there are monthly charges.  It's all explained here.

Message 4 of 7

That’s just not what I’m asking. Please look at my screenshot above.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

Now I know what's going on and the reason there is some confusion - you are looking at SQUARESPACE.COM not, SQUARE.   Two different businesses - Square is a POS service that supports e-commerce with straightforward website design and management, while Squarespace is a website development platform that more fully supports e-commerce.

Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

@Trevor2  What I'm thinking it's saying at the 0% transaction fee is that you're not charged more for physical products. If you deal with digital products that require storage space, my bet is there's a charge for those.

That said, I agree with @JK_Fiber_Art that Squarespace and Square are different companies. To see the pricing structure with a Square website, log into your Square Dashboard then navigate to Online then click the orange-ish Upgrade link at the top of the page.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 7 of 7