x
Beta Member

Is it possible to register a free Square domain with google?

I have a free Square website. When I follow Square's SEO instructions, it takes me to the Google Search Console, where I can register either by domain or URL prefix. In each case, I need to show ownership. Is that possible with a free Square domain? If yes, how? If it isn't possible, why doesn't Square say that in the SEO materials?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JKO Welcome to the Community 🎉

I think it's always best practice to have your own custom domain if you are interested in working on your SEO results. It may be possible to use a free subdomain, but it's going to be a lot more difficult to achieve the results you are looking for. 

Can you post al ink to the Square guide you are referring to? I want to make sure I'm understanding the instructions you are trying to follow. 

Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

I'm using the information on this page: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6874-seo-settings-for-square-online-store. In particular, I'm trying to figure out how to initiate Google indexing of a free site.

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Google will automatically index your free site, although it can sometimes take awhile for this to happen. I also want to add that Google indexing your site does not automatically guarantee your site will be found with a keyword search. I'm assuming this is the end goal for you, and if that is the case you will want to consider upgrading your site to be able to use a custom domain. This is also not a guarantee you will have optimal search results, but it will definitely make the chances greater in the long run. 

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

I understand. For now, however, I am trying to figure out if there's a way to use Google's instructions to request site indexing on a free Square site. The instructions in Square don't say anything about not being applicable if you don't have your own domain. At the very least, if you can't use the instructions, they should put that disclaimer in.

Message 5 of 5