x

Obtaining SPF and DKIM Records

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "SPF and DKIM Records for Square for Restaurants"

I am using Square for Restaurants and I'm paying for the use of a custom domain name on my Square Online website. What are the appropriate SPF and DKIM records that I must add to my domain name's DNS records?

I have a DMARC policy for my domain name set to p=reject. Since I launched my Square Online website to allow for online orders, Square Online has been sending customers emails from promote.weebly.com, but the recipients' email servers have been rejecting those emails because they fail to pass SPF and DKIM verification -- resulting in my customers not receiving those emails.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 29
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

I think SPF and DKIM has to be setup between your domain hosting company and your email server. I use Name Silo for my domain hosting and MX Route for my email service. I had to edit the txt record and public key from my mail service into my domain hosting site.  

That's why I don't think Square can help you, they don't offer email hosting service and they don't host domains, they are just a middle man in helping you purchase a domain name.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi again, all. Thanks for your patience here. I've received a response from one of the eCom Leads.

They have let me know that obtaining these records is out of scope for our Support Teams. This article was shared with me as an unofficial resource that explains what some of these records are. Ultimately, these  records are not something Square is able to provide. This can be done by the email service provider. This would explain why some of our team members have been confused when it comes to this topic.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Beta Member

@MishquiPeruDid you get this figured out?  I am moving forward with the same Square for Restaurants and Email marketing from Square and I run very strict DMARC on my domains.    I've been concerned this is going to be an issue for the order emails as well as the marketing ones.  There is conflicting information how to set this up for the weebly site to send emails as well as the EMail marketing side of Square.

Message 2 of 29
Beta Member

Hello there, I am in the UK but similar issue here, I need the info for my DNS. - however Square support don’t know what I am talking about and keep giving me emails to add to my whitelist. 

Please can this be looked into? As I am banging my head against the keyboard going round in circles with WEEBLY Support via email 🤦🏻‍♂️

Message 3 of 29
Beta Member

How can this not be known or easily available.  DKIM is a requirement now to avoid spam. I’m still concerned about this as I’ve got full DKIM configuration on all my domains.  I’ve not signed up for a paid account yet on square but I will be. 

Message 4 of 29
Beta Member

Exactly…. I understand that it may go over some people’s heads but not the support team of an online business 👀

Message 5 of 29
Beta Member

Just wanted to chime in on this topic:

Square Support has no clue about SPF / DKIM / DMARC. No matter who you ask, they refer you to someone else, and at the end of the day it seems nobody in this company contains knowledge of what this stuff is or how to properly configure it.

Square lets you send mail from your own domain, but provides no information to get this mail authenticated so it passes SPF / DMARC. It is completely unacceptable how uninformed everyone at Square support is on this subject. Even Square Online support / Weebly directly will argue with you that they do not need to provide you any SPF / DMARC information. 

This is unacceptable and I wish someone from Square will realize that in 2024 we cannot ignore this stuff, especially for a seller like me with several locations and mail flowing through a company domain. 

Message 6 of 29

I am struggling to get SPF & DKIM records too. I have sent an email to support, and I’m getting nowhere, as expected, after reading numerous threads on this spanning over a year. The last bit of advice I got was a link pointing to Google articles on how to setup SPK & DKIM if you have Google Workspace. Cause somehow that’s relevant 🤷🏼‍♀️

Message 7 of 29
Beta Member

Setting them up in Google Workspace is for when GOOGLE is sending messages....really it's getting rather silly how nobody at Square/Weebly knows anything about this bit of technology...

Message 8 of 29

Yeah, I know it’s for when Google is sending messages.  I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. 

Initially I was told I needed to set them up through my own email provider.

I was hoping if enough people contacted support on this maybe they’d decide they should actually do something. 

Message 9 of 29
Beta Member

I got the sarcasm, but this has been going on for months and they can't find an engineer that understands it...unreal..

You simply can no longer ask for a FROM address and insert that into an email sent by someone else...that is the definition of SPAM.  They just propagating spam from the Weebly side by doing it wrong.

Message 10 of 29

I just replied to my support dude, and told him about all the people on the seller community having trouble getting an answer on this, and asked him to escalate to a higher level of support.  I feel like I’m still at the “help desk” level, and this needs tier 3.  Surely there’s SOMEONE working at Square who understands SPF/DKIM ??  

Message 11 of 29
Super Seller

Best Answer

I think SPF and DKIM has to be setup between your domain hosting company and your email server. I use Name Silo for my domain hosting and MX Route for my email service. I had to edit the txt record and public key from my mail service into my domain hosting site.  

That's why I don't think Square can help you, they don't offer email hosting service and they don't host domains, they are just a middle man in helping you purchase a domain name.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 12 of 29
Beta Member

Square/Weebly is SENDING as YOUR domain from their SMTP servers, so yes without a doubt they need to provide a DKIM record for THEIR sending servers...this is common place for any sender acting as your domain via their servers now.  I've been around this circle with them for months with nobody that understands it.

For other emails they send as a suqareup.com email and a replyto as you which works fine.  On Weebly, they force you to enter your own FROM address which they they add as the sender, and all emails are marked as spam or DROPPED with a solid DMARC policy.  I am so over the fact they can't get a clue how sending email as someone else just won't work anymore.

If you use MailChimp/Brevo/ActiveCampaign or any other email marketing tool that sends as your domain (same as weebly is doing) you MUST setup SPF or DKIM for your DMARC policy to work properly.  

Basically unlike other providers they are not properly setting up a SENDING domain in weebly

https://mailchimp.com/developer/transactional/docs/authentication-delivery/

https://help.brevo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000185270-White-Label-Verify-your-domain-to-approve-new-...

that is just two examples of how you need to configure sending domains for services sending, well.....as your domain!

Message 13 of 29

Hi all, thanks for reaching out to the Seller Community to bring this to light. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences while attempting to obtain these records from our Support Team.

I have reached out to someone on the eCom Team to escalate all of your feedback. I'll be sure to let you know if I receive any significant updates on this.

Violet
Message 14 of 29
Beta Member

Get me one real phone call with the right people and I’ll gladly explain in detail with email header data why it’s always going to spam.  I’ve been setting up SPF and DKIM for 5 years now on my domains with other providers and I’ve got 25 years IT experience.  The problem is nobody that needs to understand it will get on an actual phone call.  

Message 15 of 29

Best Answer

Hi again, all. Thanks for your patience here. I've received a response from one of the eCom Leads.

They have let me know that obtaining these records is out of scope for our Support Teams. This article was shared with me as an unofficial resource that explains what some of these records are. Ultimately, these  records are not something Square is able to provide. This can be done by the email service provider. This would explain why some of our team members have been confused when it comes to this topic.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 16 of 29
Beta Member

Oh my aching head....we know you don't supply them.  No your reply is NOT THE BEST ANSWER...please stop doing that...this is NOT resolved or answered.

WE add them to OUR DNS records, but since YOU are sending emails as our domains YOU must provide at least SPF or DKIM authentication....period...simple...end of paragraph.  The ecomm team is obviously clueless about what SPF and DKIM does 

https://mailchimp.com/developer/transactional/docs/authentication-delivery/

https://help.brevo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000185270-White-Label-Verify-your-domain-to-approve-new-...

You simply cannot send AS someone else's domain anymore without providing proper authentication.  I would reallyt like to talk to a real person about this....they are not getting it.

You provide the authentication, we add it to our domain DNS...simple.  you do NOT provide the DNS records, just the TXT information to complete email authentication.  Reference mailchimp, activecampaign etc.

Domain authentication is now a requirement of the SMTP RFC.  Forget adding DMARC to anything, basic SPF or DKIM authentication is now a full requirement as a provider sending emails as a customer domain.  This is pretty common sense if you think about it.  You trying to send as my domain IS in fact SPAM unless I authorize you to do so!

Dear god this is ridiculous.  Tell your CTO to call me I can explain it to them..

Message 17 of 29
Beta Member

@_Violet this is the same Answer Square keeps giving for years now, but it is indicative of just how deep the lack of knowledge is at Square about how these services work. Another user in this thread phrased it best: "Square/Weebly is SENDING as YOUR domain from their SMTP servers, so yes without a doubt they need to provide a DKIM record for THEIR sending servers...this is common place for any sender acting as your domain via their servers now.  I've been around this circle with them for months with nobody that understands it."

You are using weebly.com and sendgrid.com to send emails ON BEHALF of my domain. You are the ones that need to provide the records for us to add in our domains DNS. If I was sending the emails using my own server, which we do for marketing, I have the appropriate records set up for our vendor - Brevo. Sending us a generic link to a Cloudflare page on how DMARC and SPF and DKIM works is rather offensive. We understand how it works, that is why we keep begging for Square to provide what we need.

You need to provide us with this information or your emails you are sending on behalf of our domain will continue to not be verified and will likely land in customers Junk. We are trying very hard to do everything right here, but Square continues to prove that it is not knowledgeable about DMARC and DKIM and thus our customers are suffering because of it.

Do you see how many people disagree with your answer and Square's stance on this? When will someone at Square take ownership of this and realize that you are running away from the issue rather than actually addressing it? It's truly sad to spend so much money on Square services and processing but know that deep down they don't even want to help or understand how to help with anything technical. 

As someone else already said: "Dear god this is ridiculous.  Tell your CTO to call me I can explain it to them"

Message 18 of 29
Beta Member

Something has changed from my previous test emails...

https://app.screencast.com/eUf7dYcd8vKE0

This is now sending with a NOREPLY using an Editmysite.com domain....

Message 19 of 29
Beta Member

HA!  even better....different emails have different send as setting on the Weebly back end

https://app.screencast.com/jtqWEADrBeKTX

Right there it is using my domain as the FROM and DMARC fails...

Message 20 of 29

I am astonished that Square is chosing this path… do they not want a competive e-commerce platform?

Unfortunatley this is not the only problem with emails; the “order received” email contains a broken URL and the “view order” button often does absolutely nothing. 

This is an easy fix, but will they do it?  I think I’m going to pull the plug on my square online account…

I have posted this elsewhere but I couldn’t figure out how to submit a bug report. 

IMG_3592.jpeg

Message 21 of 29