x

Questions about the Contactless Card Reader:

I'm considering getting the Square Reader for contactless and chip. From what I've read, I still have questions.

1. Can a customer tap a credit or debit card that has the TAP symbol instead of inserting it? Everything I've read talks about NFC with a phone... not much info about how it works with just a card.

2. Is there a dollar limit to the tap amount charged? I saw that there is a $100 limit in Canada... but what about the USA?

3. This device connects via Bluetooth to my phone apparently. Do I need to get a stand for it? Can it just sit on a counter?

4. I'd like to hear user's experiences using TAP with a card.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @lisasutton 👋 Welcome here to the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here! Thanks for joining.

I am more than happy to answer your questions about the Contactless & Chip Card reader. It is definitely our most popular reader to date. I think its a great option for all businesses!

1.) Yes! A customer who has a tap-emv capable method of payment (whether a mobile device or physical card) can use it to tap to complete payment with the Contactless & Chip Card reader. 

2.) There is currently a limit on all Square transactions of $50,000 per transaction. We used to have limitations on tap and interac payments in Canada, but those limitations have since been removed. As long as you are under the $50K limit, you should have no issue!

3.) You are correct, this device connects to your mobile device or tablet via Bluetooth. You can absolutely use the device without a stand or dock, but we do offer a compatible dock if you'd like to secure it to your countertop. The dock also charges the unit while it rests. 

4.) I will go ahead and leave your post up here so that your peers can hopefully engage and give some user feedback to using the device! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions! We are here to help.

Cheers! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @lisasutton 👋 Welcome here to the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here! Thanks for joining.

I am more than happy to answer your questions about the Contactless & Chip Card reader. It is definitely our most popular reader to date. I think its a great option for all businesses!

1.) Yes! A customer who has a tap-emv capable method of payment (whether a mobile device or physical card) can use it to tap to complete payment with the Contactless & Chip Card reader. 

2.) There is currently a limit on all Square transactions of $50,000 per transaction. We used to have limitations on tap and interac payments in Canada, but those limitations have since been removed. As long as you are under the $50K limit, you should have no issue!

3.) You are correct, this device connects to your mobile device or tablet via Bluetooth. You can absolutely use the device without a stand or dock, but we do offer a compatible dock if you'd like to secure it to your countertop. The dock also charges the unit while it rests. 

4.) I will go ahead and leave your post up here so that your peers can hopefully engage and give some user feedback to using the device! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions! We are here to help.

Cheers! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2