x
Beta Member

Tax not adding up correctly

I'm having trouble with my sales tax I have it set to my states taxes, yet when I do it with my calculator, it comes out to more than what square is saying. Sometimes it's correct, sometimes it isn't. I go through and check everything to make sure I have it correct, and I always do. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

more information is needed to be able to help.   is your tax set to add to the price or be included in the price?  when doing your test calculations are there multiple items in the cart?  tax is calculated per item so if you added up 10 individual items and do one tax calc it could be different due to the rounding of 10 individual tax calcs.

Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I usually just manually put one sum in then slide the tax bar to turn it on. I haven even added one item from my list then slide the tax, still wrong. 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Anitassweets21 and welcome to our Seller Community! 

It looks like you have selected the Include tax in item price option, which "hides" the tax in your customer's receipts and considers it a part of your item's price. 

This might be the reason why it's not calculating taxes the way you would expect it to. 

You can turn this option off by going to Account & Settings > Business > Sales Tax

Let me know if changing this setting solves the problem! 

Thank you. 

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4