x
Beta Member

"Similar Items" showing products from other categories

I just enabled the Similar Items option on square online. This doesn't seem to work well for me. It seems ok on a few items, showing  other items in the same sub category or parent category which is fine. But for the majority, it's not showing items in their category, it actually shows the same set of random 10 items.

All my items have a category specified.

Please advise what needs to be rectified or whether this is a known issue.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

HI, can you please share a screenshot? Or Link? 

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 15
Beta Member

The 3 items in these links belong to different categories. Exact same set of (mixed, random category) "similar items" show up on them:

https://www.aprildaisy.com/product/anjie-bangle/1039
https://www.aprildaisy.com/product/orla-earrings/21
https://www.aprildaisy.com/product/zenia-2pc-set/30

Message 3 of 15

HI, thank you for the links.  I clicked around and that is odd for the same exact items in Similiar for all the items I clicked into.  

I did notice the Shop All page has a drop down menu.  The Shop All page is quick shop for all items in your store.  There does not need to be a drop down menu linked.  That is the only thing that is different, the system may not be compatible with that.  Can you reset the Shop All page and see if that will correct the issue?

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 15
Beta Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you want me to do with the shop all page..it has the same template as all the other category pages. I'm not sure what that page has to do with the similar items issue on individual item pages...

Message 5 of 15

HI, the Shop All link in the top header, when you click on it, it has a drop down menu.  The Shop All page is standard to all sites and lists all the items on the website.  The drop down menu was added.  When it was added it may have changed or altered something regarding how items are being displayed within the Similar Items.  One may affect the other.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 6 of 15
Beta Member

I have over a thousand items in store. It is for sure helpful for customers to have the drop down menu to filter the items.
Are you saying definitively that the drop down is what is causing the similar items not to work? 

Message 7 of 15

HI, you have items by Category on the Home Page, when clicked all the Categories are on the left hand side of the page.  The Shop All is a tool, not just a page that's why it is populated on all web stores, because when someone clicks on Shop All it gives your whole store inventory.  They may have come for a ring but clicked Shop All and find a necklace set they like also.  To limit customers to categories, customers will not know to shop for other accessories.  Not all customers think the same.  Not all customers shop the same.  You want a customer to open a door to a wide variety of items, not just open one drawer and leave.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 8 of 15
Beta Member

Thank you for the lecture. I do not want to digress from the topic of this thread: Finding a solution for similar items not working for me.

Message 9 of 15

HI, @AshleyK would there be any other reason the similar items do not appear correctly?  

My solution states the Shop All has been changed and should not have been altered.  Drop down selections were added which I believe have affected how Similar Items are not displaying correctly.

Thank you @AshleyK 

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 10 of 15
Square Community Moderator

@Goldneye that's great insight! @aprild I'm sorry you're seeing this on your page. I see the issue, as per our guide,

"With this option on, up to ten items from the same category are shown below the item details on the page. If an item isn’t part of a category, the similar items section won’t appear on the page."

Since this isn't happening, I believe this is a bug on the account. It shouldn't be directly tied to your Shop All page, but one of our Support Members needs to be able to go into your account with you and cross reference the item links and each of the settings to make sure they are routing correctly. Plus, we can escalate this to engineering if it does appear to be a known issue.

You can reach out directly to Customer Success at [Redacted]. Please keep in mind, you will need a customer code to get an advocate on the phone. Here is the link to get that code: squ.re/contactsqsupport

Definitely let me know what they say. We can always take a look at the case notes, etc., to help you along.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 15
Beta Member

Thanks, will let let you know what they find.

Message 12 of 15
Beta Member

Just an update. Customer Service was unable to resolve the issue so I have turned that feature off for now. The development team will get back to me at some point hopefully.

Message 13 of 15

Aprild, how did you turn the 'similar items' feature off?

Message 14 of 15
Beta Member

On the item page. Just a toggle I turned off as shown here:

aprild_0-1629766878463.png

Message 15 of 15