x

Can the Item Description be limited to the amount that it fits on the receipt?

I use Square for my craft show business.  I make high-end writing instruments.  Since I make a wide variety of pens, I am trying to use the item description field for instructions to replace the pen refills.  There appears to be no limit in the description field on the item setup page but, the description gets truncated on the digital receipt.  Is there a hard limit as to how many characters will appear on the receipt or is this adjustable? Thx in advance.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Item description limits?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

@ChuckL ;

I am not sure about a Hard limit for descriptions on a Receipt, but what you may want to do is create an Instruction sheet in something like a Google Drive, and then have a Link to the Document for people to download or view.   Then in the description area just put the Link in instead of the detailed instructions.  Or if you have a Website you may want a page there that has the instructions and link that from the receipt?   Then if the instructions change there is only 1 document you need to update instead of every item description.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks Keith.  I had the exact same thought except that I make a few dozen different types of pens with different instructions.  Fountain pens have long! instructions on cleaning, etc.  I created a template and a different instruction set for each pen including my logo and a picture of the pen style.  Turned out much nicer than instructions on a receipt and I laminated a sample to have out at craft shows to encourage people to give their email at checkout.  Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
Square Champion

@ChuckL ;

Your welcome and great minds think alike.  I figured with something written with pictures or even a video for each type of pen would be better than on the receipt.  Depending how you sell the pens (in a box) you could include a link to the instructions for that Pen or the File with all pen instructions.  Glad you were able to do this.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4