x

How do I manually enter a virtual credit card from booking.com without a zip code?

Until this month I could process booking.com virtual cc without a zip code by entering random numbers. Now I just get declined.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Vermont88,

Welcome to the Community.

Square partners with Booking.com to allow sellers in the Accommodations Industry to accept reservations and payment information from customers.

If you cannot process payments manually with the virtual card provided by Booking.com, please contact their support team directly.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Message 2 of 7

Hi RobynR,

Thank you for contacting me. When I spoke to Square Support I did not get much help. I was only told that the problem was not on Square’s end.

I just received this message from Booking.com support:

You are not registered as «Accommodation» in their credit card machine (POS).

We highly suggest that you contact the issuer of your POS credit card terminal and ensure they are listed with the right merchant category code (MCC): 7011. Only merchants which are registered as accommodations can charge the virtual credit card”

This doesn’t really make sense to me as we have been charging virtual credit cards from Booking.com for over a year without any problems. Perhaps you can offer me some guidance?  We do have a Square Reader but of course this is manual input.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Charles Wheeler

Owner, Cooper Hill Inn

Message 3 of 7

@Vermont88

Thanks for providing more insight, and I am sorry for your experience with both Support teams.

I am working with our Advance Support to ensure I provide you with the most accurate information.

I appreciate your patience while I continue to gain more insight. 

Message 4 of 7

Hi Robyn,

Thank  you for your effort on my behalf. 

I have been in touch with Steve on your support team and, after investigating, he informs me that Square cannot, at this time, guarantee the processing of VCCs.

Good to know. 

Cheers,

Charles

Message 5 of 7

Hi again Robyn,

Just to keep you informed and in hope that someone has some insight, I just attempted to process a second Virtual Credit Card (VCC) from Booking.com.  Regrettably the result was the same with the same message “Declined, Verify zip code”

Not being able to use VCCs from Booking.com is a serious matter for our business as I am sure you realize.  It may be something on your end or on my end. Booking.com assures me that they are not at fault.  All our other transactions are processing normally.

Any information will be appreciated.

Charles Wheeler

Owner

Cooper Hill Inn

Message 6 of 7

@Vermont88 Thank you for your patience while I looked into this with our Advance Support, and I appreciate you keeping us informed.

It sounds like you may need your Merchant Category Code updated in our system. I will escalate this to our Support team so they can gather more information to update the MCC. Please be on the lookout for an email from our Support team. 

If you can still not take Virtual Credit Card (VCC) from Booking.com after your MCC code is updated, you do have to contact their support team to reissue the card under the Merchant Category Code: Tourism 4722.

Once they have reissued the virtual card under the correct MCC, you should be able to process the payment manually. 

Please let me know if this helps.   

Message 7 of 7