x

How to move inventory from a different platform to Square?

I am wanting to move my inventory from a previous platform that I used to Square. Is there a way to do this in bulk or do I have to add each items individually?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Moving inventory from a different platform]

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Beta Member

Hi there! You should be able to import your products using the Items menu. Once there, click Actions then select Import Library, then select your CSV or XLSX file to import. Finally, you will be prompted to match your source sheet's columns with Square's. Once fields are matched you can import your products. Life would be so much easier if Square would improve this by allowing to import links for product images. When I started selling I had to manually edit over 500 products to add a product image, one by one. Now I have even more products.

If you are intending to host a Square Online store (as opposed to just getting your products available to your Square POS) then you might choose to import your products using Square Online instead. The products will synchronize to your Items Library and be available to your Square POS.

I synchronize my inventory between another platform and Square at the end of every week, manually using a spreadsheet. From the Items menu I click the Actions menu and select Export Library, then I select Export to CSV. Excel export format is recommended but for my purposes I need a CSV. To synchronize my online stores I have a spreadsheet that holds two other stores and my Square store's export files as separate linked sheets. The fields in these tabs are linked to corresponding fields on a master tab that contains all the fields I need for at-a-glance information and also contain all the fields necessary for re-import to Square and the other platforms after inventories are updated. Inventories are updated on my master sheet simply by refreshing the linked sheets (which as you may recall are the library export files from the platforms). Accurate updated stock quantities are calculated using a formula that accounts for sales from all platforms. I then save the master sheet as a CSV file then import to Square and other platforms to synchronize inventory across all stores.

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Hi @ConniesNails thanks for your post and welcome to the Seller Community 👋 

Exactly as @mdaigle mentioned you can bulk import your items by CSV file 🙂 

I'll leave our support center article here that takes you through the template needed in detail. 

If you need any other help while getting set up with Square, just let us know here! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 3 of 5

@Breffni We are about to go through this migration process now. Will we have to reprint labels with Square barcodes, or can we use the labels in that are on the inventory currently in our store?

Another way to ask this - is there a way that as we migrate our inventory into Square, we can use the current barcodes on the inventory?

Message 4 of 5
Square Champion

@wesbrews ;

Welcome to the Square Sellers community.

You should be able to use your current Barcodes that are on the items as long as you scanner works with your Square System and gets transalated correctly.  So far my reader can read into Square preprinted Barcodes and ones I made up, but all mine I tested that my Scanner can read and worked with Square.

Now it depends on the type of Barcodes you currently have. 

Are they GTIN numbers that could be imported to a GTIN or do they have other formats that you currently use?

If they have numbers and letters you could use the SKU (Stock Keeping Unit), which may contain a mix of numeric and letter values.

The only thing is the longer you create a SKU the longer the Barcode.

if your current POS has Barcodes you can import them to Square as either SKU or GTIN.  As long as the GTIN is 8-13 numeric characters only.  Your best bet is to import your Barcodes as a SKU, as they are a little more forgiving than the GTIN.

My suggestion is to export your current Square Library, if you do not have any items in it make a sample Item and fill in as much information as you can.  This will serve as a Template when you export your items.  Then you know which columns mean and do what.  Leave Token blank for CSV files for NEW items and Reference Handle blank in Excel format also.  These are left blank for new items and will be assigned a value by Square for NEW items.  Otherwise you can change the Quantity or price of an item using the Token and Reference Handle in Excel. Token in a csv file along with other variables you do not want to change.

Here is a link to US support for importing a file : 5153-import-items-online

I know it says ONLINE but this goes for the Dashboard too on a computer.

Any  other questions and myself or another user will help you out here.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 5 of 5