x

How to track “waste” for items after transaction is complete?

Hi! I’m trying to figure out a solution to track “waste”items for my ice cream shop. 

an employee might make a milkshake with chocolate instead of vanilla and they have to remake it for the customer. 

they wouldn’t know this until after the transaction is completed in square. 

what’s the best way to track the wasted items in square? I’m open to all suggestions / process changes! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Champion

Great question.  I am interested as well.

Currently we comp the items that are wasted and have a comp reason set up as "accidental damage / incorrect product".

I wish that comps were separated from discounts in the reports so that we can better see how much we actually give in discounts versus what was comped.

However I'm interested to see if there's a better way.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @BofBArtStudio @clecookiedough. There isn't a way to track waste, but you can use this workaround below. I hope this helps! 

1. Create a 100% restricted discount called "waste." This way they can limit who can use this discount and remove inventory from items.

2. At the end of the day, add all the items they need to mark out to one transaction and apply the 100% waste discount to the sale.

3. There are 2 ways to keep a record of everything they used this discount for. One thing I'm thinking is they take a printed receipt of all the items they marked out as waste that day and add their quantities to a file in Excel. This would help them to track how many of each specific item were wasted that day vs. the next option to track this that I'm going to explain which gives you the total number of items at a high level and dollar amount discounted. If they go on Dashboard to Reports > Discounts > Select the discount applied, there will be an itemized list of which items this discount applies to. While this shows the total number of times the discount was used, on an item level it does not go into detail the quantity of the items discounted, only the dollar amount. Attached is an example of what I mean by this.

Message 3 of 5
Square Champion

This is what we normally do, but we use a comp instead.

However, in sales summary reports, we wish comps were separate line from discounts.

We view comp as internal (product damage, waste, samples, etc) and discounts are for customers.

~Cheryl!

Cheryl! Tisland

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 4 of 5
Square Champion

Thanks for your response. Yes we currently do it that way but with a comp and then a comp reason.

~Cheryl!

Cheryl! Tisland

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 5 of 5