x

Samsung galaxy s20 magstrip reader

Need a reader compatible with the Samsung galaxy s20. S20 does not have a headphone jack, only has a charging port.

Message 1 of 57
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @CWCF 👋 Thanks for reaching out!

You can check to see which Hardware is compatible with your specific device by visiting our Compatibility Resource Page. It will list each hardware option available to your device.

Let us know if anything else comes up. Cheers!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 57
56 REPLIES 56

I bought a small usb-c to headphone adapter at Walmart for like $10.  It's an Apple brand adapter, but it is the only thing Walmart had in-store and it appears to work just fine.

Message 43 of 57

Came here because I have an adapter but when I tried to take my first payment it kept saying Card not charged and a generic error message I can't remember... Any ideas?

Message 44 of 57

Oh darn...I haven't even tried my adaptor yet....I guess I better try it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Message 45 of 57
Alumni

We cannot guarantee compatibility for a specific adapter @KBDecals. I recommend using the Contactless + Chip Reader. It connects wirelessly. No need for an adapter. 

Justin
Message 46 of 57

I tried the contactless reader and it didn't work very well and had to return it.

Message 47 of 57
Alumni

Okay, Check out this compatibility link. If your phone is not listed as a compatible device for any of our readers, you'll need a different device that is compatible. 

@cmcaro70

Justin
Message 48 of 57

Hi.  My device was compatible, but the reader was very sporadic and only worked some times,

Message 49 of 57

Have you had any success in getting a reader for your Samsung?  I can't seem to get anyone to answer me from the company.

Message 50 of 57

Unfortunately there is no reader that will work.  You will need to buy an adaptor.

Message 51 of 57

I finally got a helpful answer from chat. For the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (which only has a USB C port and no headphone jack port) you need an adapter called USB C to 3.55mm audio jack. Then you can plug in the square reader. Available at Walmart, Amazon etc, $5 to $15.

Message 52 of 57

Unfortunately, that still didn't work for me! I just have the S20+, though. I ended up just buying the chip reader.

Message 53 of 57

I'm using a wired square reader with a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G running Android 12, plugs in through a converter 3.5mm-USBC into the power port, won't charge card when swiped so I have to manually enter and pay extra. Anybody figure out a fix for this?

Message 54 of 57

Get a connector at Walmart. It's an apple device but works fine.

Message 55 of 57

Yes, I have the Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G. I could not get it to pair w/o specific instructions, which unfortunately were near impossible to find! but I finally did. However, they were not available on this page or anywhere near this page where they should be, (everyone asking the same question) therefore making it near impossible to use the device. I have since saved the instructions on my computer and put it in the bag with the device so I will always have it. Here they are for others needing it. . . .

To pair your Reader in the Square App:

1. Go to the Square app and tap More from the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen.
  2. Tap Settings > Hardware > Card Readers.
  3. Tap Connect a Reader.
Message 56 of 57

Something to note with the card readers, make SURE you place your phone into DO NOT DISTURB mode, and clear ALL notifications. I have USB-C to headphone jack dongles which work on Samsung Galaxy S20+ models. The phone WILL show that thr reader is connected but will have a card reader error if you have ANYTHING else trying to connect to it for audio. If you get a card reader error, double check notifications that you don't have an audio app trying to connect to it. Tested working on two different S20+ models. 

Message 57 of 57