x

Track Remaining Items

It seems as though the Track Remaining Items option was removed. Is that gone for good?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Why would they have removed this??! They made it overly complicated to track this now. We are a food truck and do not keep total inventory numbers of sandwiches as it's hard to do. But when we knew we had less than 10 of something we would use that feature to ensure things were not oversold. Now you have to "receive inventory" to keep track. Why change something that worked well? So frustrating.

Message 2 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @gg12 & @kinfolkavl

Appreciate you both posting on this. I'm not sure of the exact feature you are referring to, but I can definitely look into this further for you.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Now you have to "receive inventory" to keep track."? I want to make sure I'm asking the correct questions when I reach out to the teams.

Thanks in advance for your patience while we look into this. 

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

Before the Square update to Square for Restaurants, there was a quick way to notate how many items you had left on the POS. From the main menu screen, you would "long press" an item and there was an option to "track remaining items." We would use this to prevent overselling an item when we knew there were less than 10 of something. We are a food truck and do not input total inventory into Square, as it's hard to estimate a total of most food items (because they are made in bulk, they're not like counting T-shirts to be sold, think potato salad). When we knew we only had a few servings of something left, we would use that "track remaining items" feature. And then it would simply make it available at the end of the day (for the next day because we would start over). Now that has been taken away and exchanged for a full inventory count system. If we want to use it in the same way, we have to go through so many more steps that take way too much time when you are in the middle of a busy dinner service. Because we don't input total inventory, this feature is overly complicated now. Now if we put in a number (for example we have 5 servings of potato salad left), you long press the item from the POS, click stock, input 5 in the stock number. Because now it is set to track the total stock, there is no option to "make available at the end of the day." You have to login to the dashboard (you can't do this from the POS) and edit the item in the menu library to stop tracking inventory to "reset" it. It is WAY too complicated and time consuming and not at all how most restaurants/food trucks track menu items. 

Please add back the feature to simply "track remaining items."

Below is a picture of what it used to look like:
square.PNG
Message 4 of 4