x

UPC data Import

Any Hallmark Retailers whom converted from RetailWin to Square and how did you import UPC data?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

@dchodur22 ;

Which Plan of Square do you use?  Square Pos, Square for retail (Free or Plus)?

Here is the difference between these 3:

5980-compare-square-for-retail-and-square-point-of-sale 

From Square how to Import Data:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5153-import-items 

Tips for how to avoid errors.

Now what I did was I entered 1 Item in Sqaure Dashboard with as much data as an Item I had to fill in as MUCH as possible, variation GTIN , SKU, Price, Cost etc.....  Like when you download this Under TAX it will have a Y/N not a numerical %.  Other columns may also be like this.  Even if you make an Item TEST and then enter values so you know where it goes in the CSV file.  

Then I exported my Square catalog to see what Headers were in the Square catalog and which ones were the same or had different headers in my previous csv file.  Now to move Header Sales Price (Old header) to Price (New Header Square) you can copy and paste all the data one column at a time.  Now what I did was used Excel and Power Query to rename and reorganize the columns to the same order as Square.  You could also do this with Google Sheets with similar ways.  

Here are the Headers from Squares Catalog when downloaded as an Excel file, when downloaded by CSV they are a little different Refrence Handle Column DOES NOT appear in the CSV version.    For Items New to Square leave the Refrence Handle and Token empty.  These two columns are assigned by Square when a New item is imported.

Reference HandleTokenItem NameVariation NameUnit and PrecisionSKUDescriptionCategoryGTINPriceSellableStockableOption Name 1Option Value 1Default Unit CostDefault Vendor NameDefault Vendor CodeCurrent Quantity (Your Business)New Quantity (Your Business)Stock Alert Enabled (Your Business)Stock Alert Count (Your Business)Tax - Pa Sales Tax (6%)

Once you have a CSV or Excel file of your data in the same way your sample data that you downloaded from Square is, you can Upload it through your Square Dashboard Items.  If your UPC is a recognized in a GTIN format you can assign your old UPC as a GTIN, if unsure assign the UPC as a SKU.  SKU field is more forgiving than the GTIN field which has to be in a certain length or will give errors.  The other thing to watch for is if ANY of your UPC's start with the number 0.  Whenever a SKU, GTIN or UPC starts with a zero, some Spreadsheets will drop the leading zero and make the Value of the number be the same for example.... 0547854 is = in value to 547854 but is not the same number of characters long which needs to be a certain length for the GTIN field.  In Square those 2 numbers are not the same in the GTIN or SKU field.  I have run into that issue before downloading and uploading my Square Catalog which is why I am pointing this out.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 4

Keith, 

We are using Square for Retail Plus. Thanks for the tips. I'm not a tech person so I'll have to review closely. Square imported data I received from Hallmark but items are not scanning and they are still trying to figure it out. 

Doug 

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@dchodur22 ;

Doug what Square System(s) and hardware are you using for your POS.  

I understand Square for retail but not sure if you are using a Square Register or Square Stand or other device. I also am not sure which Scanner you are using.

But here are some things to try to figure out in general what is or is not working.

The below are tested with my Square Stand. and a USB Scanner

Since you have everything in Square, If you scan an Item you will get one of 2 reactions in the checkout screen.

1) Item Populates in the Checkout cart at the POS ( My Item is in Square)

2) You would get a Message ITEM not found would you like to create it?.  Scanned a bag of Coffee which is not in Square.

This could be because the Item was not in your system exactly.

This is where the Leading Zero causes Problems, or the scanner did not read the entire barcode.

In this case the error message will read Item " barcode " was not found, check this number with the item you scanned.

If you are not getting either of these on your POS the Barcode Reader may not be connected correctly to Square or is incompatible with Square.  Depending on the type of Barcode reader you have you might be able to connect  it to a computer to test if it works.  Goto your Square Dashboard > Items then in the search field scan an Item you know is in your Square catalog.   This will 1) Test your Scanner and 2) if the item populates on the computer you know your barcodes imported correctly to Square.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4