x

Cash Drawer won't close (without being locked) with printer connected

Anyone else had this issue where the cash drawer won't close if the printer is connected? 

As soon as the printer is unplugged, it will close fine and stay closed 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

@hueyc ;

For some help on this you may want to contact the manufactures of the cash drawer and printer.

You have not mentioned which Cash Drawer, Which Printer or how they are connected to your Square devices, which are all helpful for people in this forum to lend any assistance for you.

But as for me using a Star network reciept printer and the Star Cash drawer driven by the receipt printer I have not had this issue at all and have had this setup since 2019.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 10

We are using the Star Printer with the Printer powered Cash Drawer and the Square Register and Customer Display 

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller

So your Receipt printer is USB controlled?

I have the Star network/USB/Bluetooth Receipt printer and the star receipt driven Cash Drawer on a Square stand.   It has been awhile since I connected mine.  

Try connecting the cash drawer then connecting the Printer to the Register.  Also make sure you create a Print Station and then enable Cash Management.

Here is a Video for setting up your Receipt Printer and then connecting your Cash Drawer.   Just incase.

https://youtu.be/lvCOtLaD_8w?si=7J_EoRHEdjgWfTid 

How to enable Cash Drawers in Square:

6346-cash-management-with-square-for-retail 

After Enabeling Cash Drawer Management you need to know how to use it which is here:

5152-cash-drawer-management 

I know there is a setting that you need to check for it to  open, for all or just cash transactions..... it should be shown in either 6346 or 5142 square instructions for cash management.  May all you have to do is unplug the Receipt printer and Cash Drawer, then Connect the cash drawer to the receipt printer then connect receipt printer to your USB hub for register.  This way the Printer notifies the register it is 2 devices the printer and the cash drawer instead of just the printer.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 4 of 10

Ours is printer-controlled. It is working fine besides it not closing if the printer is plugged in 

Message 5 of 10
Super Seller

@hueyc ;

My cash Drawer is Printer controlled also.  I just use the Network port on my Receipt printer instead of USB or Bluetooth.   My thing is if you connected your Printer to your Register, THEN connected your Cash Drawer to your Printer.  I am Thinking that Square Register thinks the Receipt printer is the only device.  That is why I suggested you connect your cash drawer to your Receipt Printer THEN connect your Receipt printer to your Square Register as the instructions indicate.  If you are still having problems with this, I would suggest contacting Star about this since they are both their devices.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 6 of 10
Super Seller

@hueyc

Link for Star electronics : https://starmicronics.com/thermal-pos-receipt-printers/ 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the help

Yeah it is a USB powered printer and a printer powered cash drawer. It seems to be an issue with the printer, when I plug this printer in to the other cash drawer on the other side, it automatically opens and does the same thing to that drawer and it won't close. Going to see if I can reset it somehow. 

Message 8 of 10
Super Seller

@hueyc ;

Or could be a manufacturing defect, which is why I gave you the link to Star since its their printer and cash crawer previously.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 9 of 10

Okay thanks!

Message 10 of 10