x
Beta Member

Swiping gift cards triggering Square register shutdown / reset

We are having a very specific problem with gift cards and our register and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. This has been happening for about three weeks, probably about 20% of the time someone uses a gift card at the register.  When they swipe, the register screen goes black and the device essentially shuts down. It has to be restarted (by holding down the power button). Sometimes the gift card works on the second try, and sometimes it doesn't. 

We've found that manually typing in the gift card numbers seems to work a little better, but even that has forced a reset on occasion.  

We've also had an issue recently where, when the gift card does NOT trigger a reset, sometimes the tip screen and receipt options are not presented. So there seems to be some issue with gift cards in general, but it's been difficult to find any consistency. It always happens during busy service times so it's not possible to troubleshoot with customer service as it's happening. I did call once and reported the issue but the person helping me did not seem to have any solutions besides trying a factory reset (which I have done). She suggested that our register might not be working properly because it's plugged into the same circuit as a coffee grinder, but that's been the case for several years and this has just started to happen recently. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or any ideas for fixing it! 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @KingstonBread,

Thanks for flagging this issue. We understand the frustration it can cause and apologize for any inconvenience during peak hours.

I see you mentioned not having time to troubleshoot over the phone during busy periods. Please take a moment to review this article with some basic Square Register troubleshooting steps that can be done at any time.

While some of these steps may seem small or repetitive, it's best to go through them one by one. If, after troubleshooting, your device still shuts down unexpectedly, please provide a video so we can better understand the issue you're experiencing.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @KingstonBread,

Thanks for flagging this issue. We understand the frustration it can cause and apologize for any inconvenience during peak hours.

I see you mentioned not having time to troubleshoot over the phone during busy periods. Please take a moment to review this article with some basic Square Register troubleshooting steps that can be done at any time.

While some of these steps may seem small or repetitive, it's best to go through them one by one. If, after troubleshooting, your device still shuts down unexpectedly, please provide a video so we can better understand the issue you're experiencing.

Message 2 of 2