x

Splitting Tips for team members

Want to know how to split tips differently on square. 

We currently have the option selected that all team members working during those hours gets a percentage of the tips collected. 

Our problem is we have a bartender ONE who works 11a-5p that has served customers on a ticket all day and bartender TWO that comes in at 5p-11p but the customer decides to close their ticket at 5:05p bartender TWO gets all their tips even though they never served that customer due to the bartender no longer being clocked in.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Hi @LuckesLLC! This has long been a headache for us regardless of our POS provider. 

We often have two shifts, and the first shift does a lot of setup work so that the second shift can focus on serving customers. The second shift ends up making most of the tips, so to make it fair we decided to do is use the "pool tips by hours worked" option. The second shift is heavily reliant on the prep work done by the first shift, so it's only fair that the first shift gets a share of the tips (even if they've clocked out). This has worked for us most of the time; the few employees who complained were generally not team players and didn't last too long. 

The only alternative in your situation is to manually calculate tips. That could be far too much work depending on how big your business is, but if you want to ensure that each employee receives tips from their customers then it's the only option that I can think of. Maybe someone else can recommend an easy way to do manual calculations? 

I used to work at a place that handled tips like you currently do. It meant that I received tips from the previous bartender's customers, and the next bartender received tips from my customers. Over the course of a pay period it all evened out. 

Message 2 of 2