x
Beta Member

Does anyone know why my kitchen printer is printing online order tickets multiple times?

Does anyone know why my kitchen printer is printing online order tickets multiple times?  This is causing confusion in the kitchen and has wasted a lot of paper!  It will print the first ticket normally (we have it set to print automatically), but it will print a ticket again each time we mark the order status.  Anyone else having this issue?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @elponce 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you!

This sounds strange, indeed. Just to make sure that I am understanding correctly, is your printer printing a new ticket every time the order is updated? - as in if a new item is added or removed? Also, what specific Square Point of Sale device are you using? 

The more specific details we have concerning your issue, the better we can provide a more tailored response. I will keep an eye out for your reply! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 20
Beta Member

Hey, thanks for your response

We are using square for restaurants on a square stand. 

We have one printer for both kitchen tickets & receipts, and it is a bluetooth star micronics.  The receipts are printing 3-4 copies at the initial automatic print.  I unpaired & paired the printer and that corrected it for a few hours, but it did it again today.  This is happening for the online orders I have set to auto print when the order comes in.  Walk up orders we ring in on the ipad do not print multiple copies and goes to the same printer.  Very strange- also I checked and the app & the ipad are both up to date.  Any help would be appreciated!

Message 3 of 20
Admin

Hey @elponce-

This doesn't sound right, and does sound very frustrating. Would you mind giving us a call?

@pessosices, have you ever seen this?  

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 20
Beta Member

Hi & thanks for responding.  Says calling is not an option at this time on customer support- should I text? 

I installed a second printer to the square stand via usb for receipts to separate from my bluetooth kitchen printer, so I will see what happens with order tickets today.

Message 5 of 20
Admin

Let us know!

Also, our phone lines should be available today if you'd like to try again. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 6 of 20
Super Seller Alumni

@isabelle @elponce @Joe 

My guess would be that the printer station is set up on multiple POS devices, so they're each triggering a print

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 7 of 20
Beta Member

Only one POS running.  It is corrected when I unpair and reset the connection between the square stand and the bluetooth printer.  It will stop and then it will happen again randomly.  Very strange but better than no tickets printing...

Message 8 of 20
Beta Member

I am having the same issue at my restaurant. I recently set up online orders & each new order triggers 3 printings of the same ticket. I don’t know how to stop it. I’d love help here. 

Message 9 of 20

Hi @FmfkRachel - thanks so much for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us

If the above troubleshooting tips weren't able to resolve the issue for you, we would recommend reaching out to our Support Team when you can so they can get eyes on it directly. They can take a deep dive with you into your hardware setup to insure this gets solved quickly.

We will keep an eye out for your contact!

Joe
Message 10 of 20
Beta Member

Ok- I've reset the printers.  Recreated the printer stations.  Sent an order.  Printed 3 times again.  Identical order, identical ticket.  This is going to get expensive in supply costs.  I'm really frustrated, and speaking to support on the phone now, but they are telling me this is not something they have dealt with before. 

Message 11 of 20
Super Seller Alumni

@FmfkRachel 

So you have multiple printers, 1 printer station for each printer, and only 1 pos device?

Is it printing 3 times for each printer, or just once on 3 different printers?

If 1 Print per Printer:

When you go into Printer Station Settings, you should be able to choose which ones are printing Online Orders, and turn off Online Order Printing on the ones that you don't want it to print.

If 3 Prints per Printer:

You might have multiple Printer Stations set up for each Printer.
You should still be able to do the above step, or just remove printer stations.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 12 of 20

I have the exact same problem...  😞

Message 13 of 20

Hello there @BobaSensei and welcome to the Seller Community

If your printer is duplicating any kind of receipt you will want to make sure that your Printer Station(s) aren't sharing settings because this would cause printer actions to duplicate. We recommend checking to make sure that both your app and your mobile device itself are up-to-date. 

If everything looks good there and the issue persists, you'll want to reach out. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 14 of 20

i am also having this exact issue, not the issue where 3 tickets print but, each time order status is checked or changed it prints another copy of ticket, confusing resulting in making orders multiple times and using lots of paper and ink

Message 15 of 20

these look like year old , did anyone find a fix

Message 16 of 20

Did you every get a fix?

Message 17 of 20

I'm having the same issue. Online orders are printing 5 times at expo. The expo printer is the only station with online orders toggled on.

Message 18 of 20

I found a setting on the Restaurants POS app to turn offprinting for in progress orders, I think it was under printers. 

Message 19 of 20

Hey @TGATV ,

Before we proceed, allow me to extend a friendly welcome to the Community, and I'll be happy to assist you!

Have you set up multiple printer stations?  Learn how to set up or locate your printer stations here: https://squ.re/37pctnO.

Please let me know if that helps!

Message 20 of 20