x

Adjusting Tip Setting on Customer Display

I run a counter service breakfast/brunch spot that uses Square Registers.  I currently have the smart tip amounts enabled on the registers.  I want my staff to have every opportunity to make tips but I am starting to hear more and more from my customers that they feel they are being "pressured" to tip in advance of being served (despite the fact that there is a no tip option).  Is there any way to rearrange the layout on the CFD to put tip or no tip above the suggested amounts or maybe even change the verbage away from suggested to something a little less intimidating?  I want my staff to make all the tips they can but I don't want my customers frightened off by feeling pressure to tip.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

This is an issue that many customers don't like is that they feel that they are forced to tip because they are presented with the options to tip and not tip and it pressures you into picking tip as you are standing there with the employee watching.   I don't know what could be done to rearrange the options as the customer still has to choose no tip or tip in the end.  what suggestions do you see as being better options for wording or layout?

Message 2 of 3

Currently, the suggested tip amounts are the largest part of the display and located at the top with custom tip in the middle and no tip down at the bottom.  If the order were reversed putting Custom Tip or No Tip at the top and then suggested tips down at the bottom I think that might relieve some of the pressure that guests feel.  Also, there could be a change in wording instead of "Suggested Tip Amount" to something that doesn't quite convey the same "this is what we think you ought to tip" kind of vibe.  Perhaps just leave the wording off entirely and display preset amounts in smaller tiles at the bottom of the screen.

Message 3 of 3