x

Cash sales not being recorded

I am getting very frustrated. I have been using Square for Restaurants for a few months and all has been well. But starting a couple of weeks ago I apparently made some settings change that has radically altered the way Square works.

I take a mixture of cards and cash sales. Before a couple of weeks ago when I took an order I would immediately press Pay, then take their card or cash payment. There was a tip screen that 99% of the time got a '$0', then that was that. The payment, whether it was cash or card was recorded, closed, and all was well. It would show up on the transactions reports and all was good....

.....Then something happened....

Now things are different. I can go through the usual process of taking orders, however, the checks apparently remain open until they are explicitly closed using a separate step. I didn't have to do that before.  More disconcerting however is that cash sales never make it to the transactions reports. Instead I get a message saying "$xxx.xx awaiting tips on Point of Sale".  Of course there is NO way to enter a tip amount on a cash sale. So I'm stuck. Those transactions are in limbo and I apparently have no recourse.

Please, for the love of almighty God, can someone please help me resolve this? The alternative is that I punt on Square and go with another POS. This sucks.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Beta Member

This JUST happened to me today.  I called support and got it figured out. 

I changed my settings so that my staff could re-open tickets and keep the same payment method... and that's what created the mess.  I switched back to reopen and remove payment method and it fixed itself.  

If you want to keep the settings to re-open and keep the same payment method, the cash transactions will settle when you run end of day report.  

Dashboard>Point of Sale>Service Settings>Reopen Checks

Message 2 of 3

That is exactly the setting that I dinked with, although I thought I changed it back to its original setting. It is currently set to Reopen and Keep the Same Payment method and I am getting the behavior described above.

I will change it to Reopen and Remove Payment Method and see if the behavior reverts back to what I expected. Thank you sooo much for the response. It is much appreciated!!

Message 3 of 3