x

Categorized Items Showing as Uncategorized in Sales Reports and Custom Amounts in Item Sales Reports

It looks like this has been a current issue and threads dating back several years on this subject. However, I'm not finding where the correction was made, the work around, or a document showing how to fix this. We are having the same problem. No scanner, no third part software, one POS station, purchased hardware from Square. The category is populated in the "G" column when the Items Catalog data is downloaded but the sales report. However, reports are not recognizing the value of the Category field for "Variations" products sold.

Example Setup;
Item = Chocolate Cupcake
Categories: Cupcakes 
Variations: Mini
Variations: Regular
Variations: Jumbo

It doesn't work for reporting but instead all variations for all variation products are lumped into "Custom Amounts" for Item Sales Reports and "Uncategorized" for Category Sales Reports.

In the categories section of the Edit Item page I select "Edit" and it says "Categories - Select categories this item will be part of." A list of categories are showing and checked yes is "Cupcakes". Click on the small "i" next to the check box and the help note pops up saying "This is the current reporting category for this item".

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Update: I figured it out on my own and thought I could help by posting what I discovered. I created "sub=categories" and assigned  variations to a subcategory.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Fizz,

Welcome to the Community! I understand the frustration you're experiencing with Square's reporting system, particularly regarding the categorization of variations.

Some of this does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you.

The fastest way to resolve complicated Square questions is by reaching out to our team directly. The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real time. 

If you haven't already, please reach out by phone directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Message 2 of 3

Best Answer

Update: I figured it out on my own and thought I could help by posting what I discovered. I created "sub=categories" and assigned  variations to a subcategory.

Message 3 of 3