x

Customize order of items on tickets

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: Order ticket food order

Is there a way to designate the order food items appear on an order ticket? We would like to have them print in the order they are setup in the kitchen.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Champion

@cdsmphevents Are you using multiple printers? or the kds?  I think you might be able to do this with categories or coursing.  What type of build are you doing?  trying to understand your logical flow.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 7

Thanks for responding. We're using the KDS. The use case is our church fish fry. For years we used a system I created, but I wanted something more integrated. Since I knew the order of the food stations in the kitchen, I was able to sort the order ticket appropriately. Now, it seems the order is based on the order in which the customer adds the products. So you may have a fried fish sandwich at the top and one at the bottom so the order fillers either need to pay close attention to that or get all the way through the line and have to go back to the fried fish station again.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @cdsmphevents 

Having all the same items appear together on your Square KDS is possible, you simply need to modify your settings so identical items are grouped together regardless of how they were entered in the order.

You can find the instructions to start grouping items in this article

Let me know if this information is helpful. 

Thank you

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

Thanks @frances_a. I really appreciate the response. Couple things. This works if the items are exact matches. As I mentioned, this is for a fish fry so for example, we have a fried fish station that serves sandwiches and fish on a dish. Because they're not identical, one could show up at the top of an order and the other could be at the bottom. Also, it's not just about grouping items; it's having control to place the items on the order ticket in the order I want. If I want the order to be fried fish, fries, baked fish, pizza, then I should be able to do that since that's the way the kitchen is setup. 

Message 5 of 7

Looks like the title of my post was changed by the moderator to "Grouping items on Square KDS." That is not accurate. I know I can group items. What I'm looking for is the ability to alter the order items print on the kitchen order ticket. No matter what order the items were added to the cart (or ordered from the POS), I want all Item #1s first (no matter what variations they have), all Item #2s next, etc. 

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @cdsmphevents 

That's totally on me! 

I went with the example (fried fish sandwich at the top & bottom of the ticket) you provided in your reply and assumed the issue would be fixed by simply grouping items. I apologize! 

The way I understand it now, you have different stations for different types of dishes, and you want your tickets to be grouped by station rather than by item, additionally, you'd like the items to appear in the same order you have your stations in your kitchen. 

At this time, KDS will show the items in the order it was inputted on the POS.

Our team suggests having one KDS screen per station, as tickets can be filtered at each station, ensuring only tickets relevant to that station are shown. 

Customizing the order in which items appear on tickets is a feature on our radar, but at this time, we have no estimated date for rolling it out. 

Hope this information is helpful! 

Thank you

P.S. I'm on my way to change that title again 🏃‍♀️

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7