x
Beta Member

Rename Service Charge to Automatic Gratuity

Alright not sure if this is a feature request but should be made a feature request

Service Charges

Restaurants don't ship food what we do is charge GRATUITY

GRATUITY WHICH GETS PAID TO THE SERVER.

So instead of calling it Service Charge, please rename it as Automatic Gratuity

And please roll it up under THE RESPECTIVE SERVER who is having it on their tips.

Message 1 of 30
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Service charges can mean various things - while auto-gratuity may be the only thing relevant to your business at this time, Service Charge is a future-proof term that can mean more down the line. It's also why there's a Service Charge report so in the instance that you had other Service Charges you could see them broken out, @sbrockz.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 30
Beta Member

Message 30 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

How can I add a service charge in Square for Restaurant app like on the Square POS app. Having it labeled as auto gratuity makes it look as a forced tip to my customers instead of a service charge. 

Message 22 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Ese13 -

Check out this thread where other sellers dropped a similar question about service charges and using it ask automated gratuity. 

I have merged your post, so you can keep an eye on any changes. 

While you can label the Service Charge as Auto Gratuity, it will not show like that in your reports. Tipping and service charges will show differently. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 30

Hello Kassi_I understand that auto gratuity is considered a service charge in reports. However, my issue is that when the customer gets their receipt, it is labeled as “auto gratuity” instead of “service charge”. I want to be able to customize how this charge is labeled in receipts so that my customers do not think they are tipping us two separate times 

Message 24 of 30
Beta Member

In the reports 

we want automatic gratuity to be rolled under tips instead of service charge because we give that to the servers

this change is mainly for square for restaurants 

Thanks 

Message 25 of 30

Yes exactly, I have the option to add an “auto gratuity” which is useless for fast service restaurants that don’t do table service and as I can see from your thread it is also useless to traditional restaurants as it doesn’t roll under tips and is considered a service charge by square even though it is not labeled as one.

l need the option to add a custom labeled service charge for certain in house transactions. However, I can’t do it because it is labeled as an “auto gratuity” in the receipts and this makes customers unhappy as it looks like they double tipped us when they leave their own custom tip. 

Message 26 of 30
Beta Member

These people are killing me. 

They don’t understand the concept of restaurants but they want to build applications for restaurants 

Message 27 of 30

The most frustrating part is they don’t take the time to understand the question or request we are asking about.

I’ve seen multiple of your threads were they cite an IRS document but do not take the time to actually understand what you are trying to say. 

Message 28 of 30
Beta Member

Exactly!

Just a simple a request of roll up “Automatic Gratuity” under tips instead of marking as “Service Charge”

@Kassi_ 

Automatic Gratuity goes to Server (They get taxed on it)

Service Charge goes to Restaurant (Restaurant gets taxed on it)

because you are rolling automatic gratuity under service charge

we are paying taxes for something we don’t keep.

server are paying taxes again because it is THEIR tips.

just really simple request.

please you can ask IRS too if you want.

every company who does POS knows what a automatic gratuity and service charge means 

Message 29 of 30
Beta Member

Message 30 of 30