x

Start a new coffee shop

Hi,

I'm trying to start a new coffee shop in San Francisco and don't really know where to get started.  Can anyone provide specific information about steps that I need to perform or how to get started?  Any information would be helpful.  Is there anyone in the community that has done this that would be able to discuss with me?

Thanks!

Coffee Starter

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

You'll want to start with a gameplan. Design your shop, make a list of equipment that will need to be purchased. Find a location, make sure you have all the right permitting before opening up... You might have to hire an architect to sign off on a change of use. Get your food establishment permits. 

Don't rush it, you will end up burned out before you ever open the doors. These things take time. I'm not sure what it is like in San Fransisco, but here in Hawaii, it's not uncommon for a new food establishment to be caught up for a year or two dealing with the county. 

Message 2 of 4

All good points by @LocavoreStore  most importantly “don't rush it”.

Remove any romantic notion about owning a coffee shop from your mind - it's a business like any other business, it just so happens that you will be selling coffee.

Do a Google search for Startup Cost Calculator - this will give you a great picture of the costs involved in starting your business.

Start with the menu and work backwards - the menu will determine your equipment, the size of your kitchen the layout of your bar and the general floorpan for your space.

Hire an architect or commercial interior designer that has experience working in your city - ADA and local building code requirements can be daunting.

Your logo, signage and website - hire a professional to do that work.

Establish a relationship with a commercial realtor that can negotiate on your behalf, make sure they do not represent the landlord but represent you for the best deal.

Educate yourself - two recent books I’ve read:

Colin Harmon's  What I Know About Running Coffee Shops. Its full of in-the-trenches examples of him starting out and growing his business.

Profit First by Mike Michalowicz - this should be the standard accounting format for every business.

Plan the work and work the plan - all the best with your venture.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

@LocavoreStore and @CO-coffee, thanks for taking the time to post! So much goes into starting a business, I know others in the community will benefit from your tips too. Cheers! ️ 

Message 4 of 4