x

Is there a separate field for barcodes to work with a scanner?

I looked at a thread that was four years old and this problem still may not be solved....

Our retail items have skus and barcodes.  Right now all items have to be manually rung up in Square by their SKUs or name.  I'm looking for a way to include barcodes and have a scanner that would work with the system.

It looks like this has been a problem for over four years that hasn't been addressed.  Can we please have a field that saves the barcodes (they are different than the SKU)?

Is there a better work around I'm not seeing? Again, we need the SKU in the SKU field.

Also, is there a way for the SKU to show up on an item's online Square page and on receipts?? This is also very important to our business.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Alumni

Still not an option to have a separate field for barcodes other than the SKU field, I'm afraid. If you want SKUs to be visible on receipts, add them in the item descriptions or the item name. 

@FairTradeShop

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

Just saw that items finally have a place for "Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) allows companies to identify their items at any point along the supply chain." in addition to the SKU.

Excited for this! Should the GTIN work for entering barcodes and being able to scan them in the Square app?

Message 3 of 8
Beta Member

If you are using the POS app then the GTINs won't work as they are only supported in the Retail app. We are having the same issue. Hoping Square can make GTINs available in the POS app as well asap.

Message 4 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @villagebeer - stopping here on this thread to reply once again! Currently, we can confirm that there are no plans to bring GTIN to the normal Square Point of Sale. This feature will remain as accessible through the Square for Retail platform.

Thanks for posting here on the Seller Community.

Joe
Message 5 of 8
Beta Member

Thanks for the info @Joe .  This is unfortunate.  For us, we like the features/setup of the standard Square POS in the front of house, and use Retail in back for inventory/processing.  This makes it impossible to use the GTIN field for barcodes as they won't scan with the register.

Message 6 of 8
Square Community Moderator

You are correct here, @costless. If you use the regular POS in front of house, you will not have the ability to scan GTIN's from the register. 

However, I can continue to pass this along as a feature request. Perhaps there would be some other Sellers who would also be interested in a 'tethered' Point of Sale front of house register that was connected to an over-all Retail account, if that makes sense.

Anywho, happy to pass this along. Have a great day!

Joe
Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

Adding ourselves to the list of Sellers who believe this feature should be included in the Standard POS. If it is available in Retail, they should also make it available in the POS. It's such a simple and common feature that is useful to everyone. Since they already have the ability to do it in retail, they should be able to make that feature available to the Standard POS. 

Message 8 of 8