x

Can a customer call Square and get a refund just by calling in?

I have used Square for about 7 years off and on. I was just told that a customer who has made a charge can call Square and get a refund just by calling in.  Is this true? I've never had it happen.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

The customer will not go through Square directly, but through their card's provider.  That provider will then contact Square about any dispute.  Square will act as your rep throughout the dispute process, but truthfully it seems that recently most disputes are resolved in the customer's favor.

For a thorough explanation on the dispute process, check out this awesome Help Center article 

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

as was stated by GlassDale they aren't calling Square.  and that can happen at any store using any credit card processor not just Square, any credit card processor.  at large a large business like walmart, they have teams of 100's that deal with disputes daily and some companies even carry insurance to cover disputes.  sounds like you are doing fine if you have never had a dispute.  some businesses get them a lot other hardly ever.  I have had one in 20+ years of credit card acceptance and we have more than 10,000 transactions a year.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

To expand a little more, be sure you take care to only use a chipped card in a chip reader.  If you swipe or manually enter a (chipped) charge/debit card, you are much more vulnerable to having a dispute lodged against you.  I don't know if this is universal, but I know that for some providers, if you try to read a chipped card and it fails 3 times, then you can swipe it with the same protection as if the chip had been read.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 4