x

Conditional Tax Exemptions for Specific Items

Hello- We have a farm and garden supply store and need to be able to set up items as sometimes taxable and sometimes non taxable depending on the customer. Farmers are tax exempt on direct production items like feed, seed, and fencing, but "end use items"  like pet food and water softener salt are taxable. However not all of our customers are farmers and so regular sales tax applies to those customers on all items. I thought I could set some tax rules through the dining options features but I am not having any luck. I still have to go into each item and apply or delete taxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @griffeyfarms.  This question comes up occasionally here.  So, before I posted my answer, I did a little research to see if there have been any changes since the last time I fielded the question.  There have not, at least not that I can see.  So…..

While Square DOES have exemption rules for sales taxes, there are currently no exemption rules that are customer based.  Which means that what you are doing is the only thing you can do right now, especially since you are using the Square Retail POS and not the standard Square POS.  (I’m assuming this since you posted in the Retail board).

I’m pretty sure that someone has already submitted a feature request to add customer-based exemptions based on groups that a customer might be a member of.  But it can’t hurt to head over to the Ideate Board and submit one anyway.  Since the mechanism is in place for exemptions to be defined, it should be a matter of adding more exemption conditions to choose from — such as allowing you to exempt certain items for customers in the “Farmer” group.

And, no, dining option will not work for you unless you ring up the “exempt” items for a farmer in one transaction, and then ring up the “nonexempt items for a farmer in another transaction.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @griffeyfarms.  This question comes up occasionally here.  So, before I posted my answer, I did a little research to see if there have been any changes since the last time I fielded the question.  There have not, at least not that I can see.  So…..

While Square DOES have exemption rules for sales taxes, there are currently no exemption rules that are customer based.  Which means that what you are doing is the only thing you can do right now, especially since you are using the Square Retail POS and not the standard Square POS.  (I’m assuming this since you posted in the Retail board).

I’m pretty sure that someone has already submitted a feature request to add customer-based exemptions based on groups that a customer might be a member of.  But it can’t hurt to head over to the Ideate Board and submit one anyway.  Since the mechanism is in place for exemptions to be defined, it should be a matter of adding more exemption conditions to choose from — such as allowing you to exempt certain items for customers in the “Farmer” group.

And, no, dining option will not work for you unless you ring up the “exempt” items for a farmer in one transaction, and then ring up the “nonexempt items for a farmer in another transaction.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2