x

Customer return using ApplePay

Hello All,

I had a customer want to return an item that had been paid for using ApplePay, when they gave me their CC # to search for the transaction, it could not be found.  It turns out that ApplePay  uses a "ghost" number related to the account, but not the actual CC number.  Has anybody else come up against this?  Any suggestions?

David

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi David. You can also search by receipt number or item from the Transactions tab. Do you have that info from the customer? @candynkites 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hello Justin,

We did not have the receipt number and we thought we had the CC number because they had their CC with them, but since they used Apple Pay, the CC number and the Apple Pay numbers did not match.  So we had to search for the transaction, we only have one register, so everybody got to wait while I figured out which transaction to use for the return.

I was hoping someone had a better solution.....

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Ahh, glad you eventually found the transaction, but I can see the inconvenience. Apple pay is tricky since the card info used to make the purchase is encrypted and different than the bank card linked. This is by Apple's design. 

For the future, I'd try grabbing the receipt number to look up or link the sale to the customer's profile so you can retrieve their purchase history later. 

@candynkites

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4