x

Does Square plan to support newer iPad models with Square Stand? For example, the 11 inch iPad Pro.

When can we expect Square Stand to support newer models in the iPad Pro line such as the 11 inch. I have read the list of current models supported and it's not listed.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

@ElevatedMe Let me throw apple under the bus on this one.  As far as the software goes, it will work with all the newer ipads I am pretty sure as ios is uniform.  I purchased a newer ipad a year ago when apple changed the physical dimensions of the ipad.  I went to Sam's and bought a stand and contactless reader and the dang thing didn't fit.  I thought I was crazy.  Well, I wasn't the newer stands hadn't been put out yet by square for the newer ipad.  About 6 months after that, they started selling the newer stands and discounted the older ones.

I don't think all vendors get a true heads up on the size of the physical hardware like the ipad pro you talk about until after it comes out as apple is very secretive with new hardware.  I imagine, square wouldn't commit millions of dollars in manufacturing a stand till they have the hardware in hand for testing.  The plastic for the stand is a type of injection mold, so you can't just guess the fit and finish etc.

So yea, apple keeps changing the physical size and it makes it hard on the rest of us to have to buy new accessories etc.  I assume if the tablet is adopted well, then square would respond by making a stand for it. 

But you are in luck my friend...you don't need a square stand!  I found a tablet stand that swivels and used it for my ipad and just bought the contactless reader separately.  I have it plugged into a usb power brick and I just keep my ipad plugged into the charger.  If I need to swipe a card, I have the lighting port reader right there in the cash drawer and I pop it in takes about 7-8 seconds and then swipe a card.  But 95% of all my credit cards are dip/tap now.

So, I think square down the road will support a stand for those, but if that is what you have, there are other ways to make it work.  I love the stands..they are professional and functional.  But I wouldn't let that hold me back from using the tablet I want.  I originally started using square on android and there was no stand.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 5

Thank you. I have had this iPad for a couple of years now so I just thought they would have a stand for it by now. I totally understand not immediately having one available when Apple releases new hardware. I have been looking for a separate stand. Do you mind sharing with me where you found your stand? So far I haven't found just the right one to work as a checkout stand.

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

@ElevatedMe I got mine off amazon, I just made sure it was a heavier stand and it was about 40$ (not the el cheapo one).  AboveTEK was the brand, but I bought it in 2017.  I paired it with the contactless reader and a printer driven cash drawer with a star tsp100 ethernet printer.  If you don't have ethernet at your location, I would go with a wireless option that connects to a wireless router.  Bluetooth is problematic at times and the usb one won't play as well unless you plug it into a hub with the apple.  I haven't messed with a charging hub and apple outside of my stand.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 5

Thank you!

Message 5 of 5