x

How can I set the Change Due screen to display longer?

How can I set the register to stay on with the amount of change being given back without printing a receipt.  I have a lot of teenagers who don't know how to count change back and are getting confused. 

Message 1 of 31
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Heidi1, thanks for bringing this up.

The app will display the amount of change due for a cash payment after you tap the "Tender" button. The amount due should stay up until the "New Sale" option is tapped.

Are you seeing anything different or do your employees need a bit more time? If you haven't already, you might want to change the auto-lock settings on your mobile device to allow a couple of minutes to go by before it goes to sleep. For example, on an iOS device you can do this by going to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > select necessary time.

This might help your employees by giving a bit more time to refer to the change due. When I worked retail in a fast-paced atmosphere, I recall having to multi-task by counting change and simultaneously fielding customer questions — being able to refer to the change due was a lifesaver. 😅

Hope this helps clear things up. If I'm missing the mark, or if there's anything else we can do to help streamline this, please let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

We have a few square registers and when disabling the receipt screen, the change due during a cash sale flashes on the screen for 2-3 seconds and then goes away and for some employees it is difficult to remember the change due as they pull it out of the drawer.

We were wondering if the screen with the change due could stay even when skipping the receipt screen for cash sales. I don't see anyway to do it and if there is no way to do it, could I make this a feature request? We cannot have the receipt screen on because we are trying to move a high volume of customers as fast as we can and we also want them touching the customer display as little as possible because of the COVID-19 situation.

Message 22 of 31
Alumni

@SkyMerchant

I just did a test on my demo account with the receipt screen disabled -  the Change due screen should stay up unless the screen times out or if New Sale is tapped. 

What you're encountering sounds glitchy. Mind reaching out to our CS Team so they can walk through troubleshooting? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 31

are you sure that is on the Square Register? I talked to support the other day about some questions I had and brought that one up and he said that is just a feature request for now.

Message 24 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @SkyMerchant - I can step in for Justin on this one. The process for change received display should be identical on the Square Register as other hardware, such as the Square Stand. I would recommend ensuring that you are using the most up to date version of your Square Register software - as Justin stated, this sounds like this may be a software issue. 

Keep us updated! 

Joe
Message 25 of 31

@Joe @JustinC I do not even get the menu pop-up to press "new sale" when I disable the receipt screen. It's as if that pop-up is tied to the receipt screen on the customer display. It just has a tinier box that shows the change due then fades away after 3 seconds.

Message 26 of 31
Alumni

To be honest @SkyMerchant, it's a bit difficult to pinpoint the exact issue as to why you're not seeing the new sale without visibility into your account/device settings. If basic troubleshooting didn't help - like performing a factory reset or ensuring the software versions is up to date - our CS Team would your best resource, as they have more adequate tools to see the back-end of your account. If you are experiencing a software bug, they can file a ticket with Engineering to extensively troubleshoot your Register. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Justin
Message 27 of 31
Beta Member

We have just installed the square register and are having the same issue. We do not want to print receipts on our printer unless the customer asks for a receipt. The change due from a cash sale just flashes by with the check mark. We do not get a new sale indicator with the change due. When on the iPad version (mobile) the change due and new sale dialog appears not on the register.

Message 28 of 31
Beta Member

We have a register with Square for Restaurants.  We need receipts to print automatically and we are having this same issue, it's an instant screen flash of the change due and we are constantly having issues with the drawer balancing.....How can this be resolved with receipts are set to print automatically?  this again seems like a table stakes issue where it should no matter what stay on screen until a user says "DONE'....for all the things square does well these small things are adding up as big headaches...this is another one now.  

Message 29 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @CColotti

Like previous answers on this thread the change due screen should indeed stay up until you press done. If this isn't the case you will want to reach out to our support team, so they can take a closer look at this your settings for you. 

Our team can be reached at 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. You can also get in touch with our Messaging and Email Support Teams here.

JJ
Message 30 of 31
Beta Member

It seems for Square Restaurant you need to DISABLE the option to skip the receipt screen and it does...if you enable that it clears in 2-3 seconds.

Message 31 of 31