x
Beta Member

How to exclude gift cards from discounts?

Is there a way to exclude gift cards from discounts? 

Dawned on me that someone could receive a discount when purchasing a gift card, and a discount again when purchasing items using the gift card, thereby double dipping. Because the gift card isn't a physical item, I can't figure out a way to exclude it from particular discounts. 

Any advice/tips welcome. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@TowneStore This is kind of a unique take that I actually try to take advantage of as often as I can with companies, especially at christmas.  I'll give you an example, Google Play store, buy discounted gift cards at Sam's, get cash back on sam's plus purchases, use my cash back credit card, then use the play store and get google play credit, redeem google play credit for $$ credit on the play store...profit!

In this scenario, $100 in google credit was effectively purchased for 88.30 when I add all the discounts/rebates up.  It's the old extreme couponing thing.

TL:DR I get why you want to avoid the double discount, but I really think when you take into account the amount of gift card redemptions that never get redeemed (10-19%) you will always come out ahead.  I would count the money you discount on a gift card sale as "marketing" and item discounts as slightly different.  That way you can just budget for how much you will spend on marketing through gift cards and your merchandise discount is something different.  I would also maybe look and make sure your not too generous on the purchase side of the gift card or tie it to a rubber band discount where purchase 50$ and get a 10$ coupon for a future visit that way you are selling the discount with the card and not discounting the card so they can double dip.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 2