x
Beta Member

Items with a single Pre-selected Modifier now prompting the Item Details screen at check out?? WHY?

Preface:

We operate a store that sells drinks. Depending on the size of the drink container (>24oz or <24oz) we have to charge a separate California Redemption Value (CRV) Fee of either 5 or 10 cents. We cannot bake this fee into the price since it needs to be made clear to the customer that it's a separate charge and that we don't have deceptive pricing. For example, a 20oz drink for $2.99 will come out to $2.99 + $0.05 = $3.04.

We've always pre-selected the CRV value through Excel and when we limit the modifiers to only have one option, by default Square Register would skip the details screen. This made sense as what's the point of asking to select a modifier if there is a minimum and maximum of one selection (that we configured through the Modifiers tab in Dashboard)?

This makes checking out normal and easy. You scan a drink. It registers into the cart without fuss.

Problem:

A couple days ago, Square pushed out a new update that will pull up the Item Details screen if an item with a modifier is scanned and the "Skip Details Screen During Checkout" toggle is not enabled. You then have to hit "Add to Cart" at the bottom of the screen in order to register the item into the cart. I know this was an update and not a glitch because I confirmed it with a tech over the phone who reported that I'm not the only one to have started complaining about this.

This new workflow severely hinders our checkout speed since if a customer is purchasing multiple drinks or has a drink scanned in the middle of the check out process, you have to stop scanning, pause, look at the screen, hit add to cart, wait a second, then proceed. We prefer just scanning and scanning. That is the whole point of pre-selecting modifiers in the inventory - to speed up the check out process.

Listen, I get it. This is how you would think this should behave. But to push out an update or fix without any patch notes AND without any option to bulk toggle the "Skip Item Details Screen" across multiple items or categories was a bad move. 

You guys can't just change a huge aspect of the check out workflow without any notes or workarounds for people who have been trained to work it a certain way.

When over 400 modified items in our library that require me to enter into each item and toggle the Skip Detail Screen at Checkout, fixing this problem manually is insane. This is a big enough problem for us that we are now considering moving to another platform that thinks about the UX a bit more. Perhaps Square for Retail is not for us.

Solution:

Please give us the option to bulk enable or disable the "Skip Item Details at Checkout" behavior. Either give us an option through an CSV/Excel column, a new option under Categories or Modifiers, or something. This is such a simple workaround that I'm amazed that it wasn't considered as a part of this new update.

On a side note, the new Bulk Edit functionality in the Items screen is a joke if I can't bulk delete or bulk apply a parameter to multiple items at once. All this does is it gives me a million drop down menus - I still have to go through each item individually. There is nothing "Bulk" about it. Also limited it to 250 items is ridiculous. We have over 8000 SKUs. I just resort to using CSVs.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @JoyOne - Welcome back to our Seller Community!

Thanks for your feedback and your detailed post on how the new update has hindered your business. This information will be very useful when building a case with the product and engineering teams. We will make sure to bubble this up to them for consideration of your request. While we cannot promise you anything, we can make sure to provide you with additional information when we receive it, if any. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you so far. We appreciate your patience while Square works on improving our Sellers experience. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 4

We are implementing CRV as of January 1, 2024.  Your message is actually the most helpful one I've found on how to successfully implement this fee.  Thank you.

Message 3 of 4

I'm having trouble with the CRV modifier I created.  Some bottles of wine it automatically comes up, others, we have to manually enter.  Any Ideas?

Carrie

Message 4 of 4