x
Beta Member

Modifier screen not showing up Square for Retail

I have not had any problems until the latest update on my iPad. I have items that require modifiers to be chosen  and the screen has always popped up when I select the item to sell it on Square for Retail. I did the update about 1/2 hour ago and that is no longer happening. I have gone into the items individually and the "Skip item details" toggle is not on so it should not be skipping. Help!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi @coteaucottage Thanks for posting.

We have had a few sellers reach out to share their feedback on the recent changes to the Square for Retail cart. The changes are expected behavior, however, your feedback is valuable to us, and I will make sure to share your experience with the team. If you click on the item, do you have the option to edit the modifiers? 

For what it's worth, I do believe there will be more (better) updates in the near future which should help make the cart more streamlined. In the meantime, can you check to see if you have a toggle to opt-out under Settings > Favorites > New checkout

Message 2 of 20
Beta Member

Thank you for your response. When I click an item it automatically goes into the cart with whatever the default is. Then I have to click on the item in the cart and it will allow me to select different modifiers. Too many steps and will cause issues especially when we are busy. I am opted out of the new check out. This was just the latest update that caused this. All items do not have the skip item details screen turned on as well.

Message 3 of 20

We had the exact same problem and could not figure out where the modifiers were. Thank you for making the note about once the item is added to the cart that we could add modifiers, we were lost until seeing that! I agree it adds so many extra steps that used to be all integrated. Sadly, it will not let us opt out of the new checkout as we did that the other week. 

Message 4 of 20
Beta Member

This failure for the modifiers popuo yo appear is actually costing me money: i had to switch back to Square POS, which has a higher transaction fee for each transaction. This is a critical error that needs to be fixed asap as i am unable to use Square for Retail until it is repaired.

Message 5 of 20
Beta Member

I am in the exact same boat. New Experience is turned OFF. I ran the sme update as you this morning. Now when I click on an item, it adds the default to the cart. I'll give you another reason why this isn't good.

You press the item, it adds default to the cart. If you add a second of the same item to the cart, it changes the first one to x2. So now tell me how I can modify only the second item? I can't.

This is really going to screw us up. Why would you change it?

Message 6 of 20
Beta Member

I should add that this is only happening to us on our favorites screen. If I scan an item, the modifier screen pops up. But our Favorites are unscannable items. That's why I created them as favorites

Message 7 of 20

Thank you both for the additional information. I will be following up with the team tomorrow to see why you are still seeing this behavior if you have the option to opt-out.

Thanks in advance for your continued patience while we work to clarify this! 😊

Message 8 of 20
Beta Member

I am experiencing all of these same issues. It is too many steps and we rely on the popup modifiers screen for a streamlined checkout experience. I switched back to Square POS, but this interface has higher transaction fees, so im pretty fristrated that im paying extra fees due to Squarefor Retail not working properly.

Message 9 of 20
Square Champion

@FlightTeam ;

When you select an Item from your Favorites and need a Different Variation, Tap the Item to open another POP UP, This will be where you see Select Variation and SKU, taxes ets..  You will see something Like Selet Variation and on the right it shows the First Variation in your list in BLUE lettereing (Air in my image).  Tap the first Variation and then a Pop up with the rest of your Variations will be displayed to choose a different variation.  See attached Images below:

After Pressing the Item in the cart you will get the below Screen:

20240316_125818.jpg

Showing to Tap Air (Blue Lettering for me)

20240316_125824.jpg

After Tapping Air, This screen pops Up listing my Variations which continue farther down.   

20240316_125830.jpg

In other threads we have Complained about the wording and having Square automatically put in the First Variation.  In the first Image where Air is in Blue this use to say something like Select Variation, Now with it having a variation people do not know to tap the Default Variation.

Hope this helps.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 10 of 20
Beta Member

this works, of course, but it's too many steps to do with customers ordering in a cafe environment.

Message 11 of 20
Beta Member

I found that if I go into each individual item and customize the modifier to have 1 minimum and 1 maximum it does seem to work on the iPad Square for Retail now. When I changed that they now pop up. Not sure if that helps you! It does not work for varients but at least modifiers. 

Message 12 of 20
Beta Member

Mine is Variations, not modifiers. I do appreciate the help though!

Message 13 of 20

Thank you all again for this thread, and for sharing your feedback. I just wanted to confirm that the changes are expected, however, the team is very interested in the opinions that have been brought forth, and have confirmed that there will be updates to the layout and screen that will make it an easier process when selecting variations or modifiers. I unfortunately do not have an exact ETA to provide, but I imagine with the amount of chatter this update has brought forth, that it will not be long before the next update is released. Furthermore, I will do my best to keep this thread current when I hear of details I can share.

Message 14 of 20

I am so relieved that this is an issue with other users. What started happening in my coffee shop was that the drinks were added directly to the cart after recent update and the staff were not realizing that it had modifiers that needed to be asked in case the customer wanted changes. Kind of a walk-thru system for the staff and customers to get correct orders. I don't want to make mods required on items in order for the pop-up box to show since this will be a hassle for my customers that order online. They want quick!! I've had to disable the new cart system to fix some of this temporarily. Other than that I would literally have to go to each item individually and change the modifier options. It's not fair for us to have to rebuild our sales system. Please figure this out soon for an update. It honestly doesn't make sense to me why this change was worked into the update! Thank you!

Message 15 of 20
Beta Member

it's terribly cumbersome, we had to switch over to Square POS instead of Square for Retail, which is extremely disappointing as we are paying for Square for Retail and would like to use thos additional features that come with the higher $ plan that we are paying for.

Message 16 of 20
Beta Member

Please tell the team that this is costing me money because i had to revert back to Square POS until it is fixed.

Message 17 of 20
Beta Member

I'm very frustrated that I am paying for Square for Retail, but cannot use it due to all of the issues discussed here.

We had to switch back to Square POS, which has a higher transaction fee for each transaction. I want the features of Square for Retail, which I am paying for.

Square for Retail now makes it too cumbersome to click through each modifier selection after an item has been added to the cart: we need the streamlined popup with options/modifiers where we've set them up, as it works in the Square POS version.

Message 18 of 20
Beta Member

we need the popup modifier screen back. Can you please let me know when / if that is expected to be corrected? I am unable to use Square for Retail as long as this popup screen is missing at the Square register, yet I'm PAYING for Square for Retail.

Message 19 of 20
Beta Member

When this problem started for me back in March, I also emailed my Square rep. after some clarifications of the problem she eventually sent me this, "I had an engineer look into this and it appeared to be a bug. They let me know they have enabled variations tiles for you, can you confirm that you are seeing this on your end?"

So, the engineers turned on the variations pop up for me on their end. Hopefully you all can talk with someone that can get this changed for you as well.

Message 20 of 20