x

My square register does not account for luxury tax on items over $175 in Massachusetts

Has anyone figured out a way to add luxury tax to items over $175, without having to stop and do the math on the side, while customer waits, then adding as an additional line item?  Help!  This is really streessful when we are busy. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hello @Jjd71 !

In Colorado, we don't have any luxury taxes, so my answer may not exactly work for you, but here is my thought:

Can you create a Luxury Tax in your item library?  (Web Dashboard -> Items -> Sales Taxes) You can then assign that tax to any item you have that is priced over $175. That way you're not manually mathing things out in the middle of a busy time.

Just a warning if you go this route: every new item you add will have the Luxury Tax enabled by default. Make sure you deselect it for items that don't need it!

One other thing that may be helpful is to do a version of the Dining Options that would work for you. It's a stretch but may be a workaround. Check out this help article about how to make conditional taxes with dining options. Then, at checkout, you could have a Luxury "dining option" you apply to the items you need to tax and the Luxury Tax will apply.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hello @Jjd71 !

In Colorado, we don't have any luxury taxes, so my answer may not exactly work for you, but here is my thought:

Can you create a Luxury Tax in your item library?  (Web Dashboard -> Items -> Sales Taxes) You can then assign that tax to any item you have that is priced over $175. That way you're not manually mathing things out in the middle of a busy time.

Just a warning if you go this route: every new item you add will have the Luxury Tax enabled by default. Make sure you deselect it for items that don't need it!

One other thing that may be helpful is to do a version of the Dining Options that would work for you. It's a stretch but may be a workaround. Check out this help article about how to make conditional taxes with dining options. Then, at checkout, you could have a Luxury "dining option" you apply to the items you need to tax and the Luxury Tax will apply.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2