x
Beta Member

Online vs In-store Pricing

I have a huge issue with this feature, before I signed on with Square I was told dual pricing was a capability. The reason we need to have this is because online prices differ with instore prices. 

They told us we could do this 1 or 2 ways. First, we could setup 2 locations one physical store and the other online and have the pricing differ there. But the issue is 1 I don't believe they can share the inventory and 2 they charge monthly fees per location. 

The alternative was to list the sale price higher and remove any marketing features that would cross out or list sale on the item. Currently that is what we are doing, but there are a few more issues with that. 1. I can never list something on sale with the red line or cta of sale buttons 2. when customers check out their invoice shows the in-store price crossed out and the online price (higher) as the actual price. This is obviously confusing to the customer and just bad practice. I requested that at the very least this be fixed, but was told I had to put in a feature request. Sigh this is just bad coding 101.  See photo below

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 12.24.55 PM.png

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

I discovered this unbelievable omission yesterday after setting online prices for our initial offerings and then getting a frantic call from my in-store team asking if I had raised the price of cannoli without telling them. Yikes! Tech support gave me the same answer about setting up two sites, but acknowledged that inventory would not sync. AFAK, 100% of brick and mortar stores that are online charge a higher price online to cover additional expenses. And I just cannot have "sale" prices visibly higher than non-sale prices. 

"Do not sync" code already exists for some properties (description, for example). Leaving it out for pricing is just crazy.

I'd like to see a timeframe from Square on when this major omission can be fixed. Until then, I just cannot use Square Online. I wonder if anybody is using it for a real store with identical prices on and offline?

Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

Its really a point of contention for me, but my customers aren't noticing or not mentioning anything when they checkout (the only spot where they see it is the actual checkout page). 

But it just makes us as sellers look shady. It's a simple fix for them to just remove Strikethrough from the code. Or they could just build a real way to have dual pricing...Sigh

Message 3 of 8

My reason for higher online prices, like most, I think, is to cover at least Square’s $1.50 service fee. Instead I will just charge customers an innocuous  99¢ Service Fee and eat the extra 51¢.

But there’s no good excuse for being forced to do this. 😡

Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

I couldn't agree with your more---the worst part about all of this is the fact that when they actual do something correct it great, they knock it out of the park, but then they do things like this and give me more reasons to want to leave them...

The worst is that they all say the same thing---"open a feature request or we will submit a feature request." I always ask ---how many feature requests have been put in for said feature request? And the response is ---oh I don't have access to that. So basically we write all these complaints without ever knowing how soon they will be address if at all and we're encouraged to just keep adding the same request over and over. 

Honestly, the POS does 98% of what I need it to do--its the WEEBLY side that is severely lacking. 

Message 5 of 8

I have a similar issue with online sales (shipping included) to my booth sales. I did some math to offer a % discount at the booth to accommodate that but it's another "every transaction" step and it's imperfect...

Message 6 of 8
Beta Member

it's just a big misstep on their part especially because I asked this question before onboarding. 

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and went along with the half brained workaround and that doesn't work properly either (listing the sale price as a higher price and removing the red strikethrough feature) but AGAIN they didn't think it through and they allowed the strikethrough and the lower price to appear on checkout. 

Message 7 of 8
Super Seller

Has there been an Update to being able to have different Online vs In-Store Purchases?   

I want to do just the opposite and have Lower prices online so my Wholesalers can order through my Square Store online.  That way I can use the Free Square Store just for these customers since I am not making as much profit per item but will be selling in Quantities. 

I already have a Website not on Square for retail sales but this would help track items better if I could set this up.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 8 of 8