x
Beta Member

Option to create subcategories in SRP

Subcategories are available in Square Online. However, SRP doesn't have the option to create subcats. Categories are flat and a product can only belong to 1 category.

Are there 3rd party integration apps for SRP that allow for better inventory management with subcategories and tagging as well?

TIA

www.SLMWines.com
Premier destination for wine, beer, and spirits!
Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

@VINOme ;

You can not make Sub Categories is SRP, this has been a feature request for sometime now.  I need this to happen too and have explain why it would be helpful for organizing our products on the screen.  The only work around I have found is just have a Main category .... 

For example 36 Packs ---- then in that category have your beers listed.  Since everything would have a sku that you can scan Square finds the item and no searching.  The problem comes up when updating or locating the item again when you need to do it without the item.  You could do searches if know how you named the item.  

I asked for this a few times because we have Scented and Unscented candles.... then under these main categories it would be great to have more sub-categories.... Jars, Tappers, Pillars, Votives, and Tea Lights etc.   So far I just had to create like the Sub Sub Category  of Scented Tea- Lights and Un Scented Tea-lights for example and then have the items in those.

I have put in Ideates for Sub Categories for SRP but that feature is waiting for more people wanting this also. 

Here is a link to someone else asking about this too:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Point-of-Sale-app/Sub-Categories/idi-p/364170 

Best answer #1 from 6-12-2021 is an answer for ONLINE

Best answer #2 from 11-4-2020 is an response that says basically not gonna happen Variations and Modifiers should work. 

Here is a link to the Ideate I just posted as I was writing this:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-for-Retail/Sub-Categories-For-Square-for-Retail/idi-p/3753... 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Champion

Best Answer

@VINOme ;

You can not make Sub Categories is SRP, this has been a feature request for sometime now.  I need this to happen too and have explain why it would be helpful for organizing our products on the screen.  The only work around I have found is just have a Main category .... 

For example 36 Packs ---- then in that category have your beers listed.  Since everything would have a sku that you can scan Square finds the item and no searching.  The problem comes up when updating or locating the item again when you need to do it without the item.  You could do searches if know how you named the item.  

I asked for this a few times because we have Scented and Unscented candles.... then under these main categories it would be great to have more sub-categories.... Jars, Tappers, Pillars, Votives, and Tea Lights etc.   So far I just had to create like the Sub Sub Category  of Scented Tea- Lights and Un Scented Tea-lights for example and then have the items in those.

I have put in Ideates for Sub Categories for SRP but that feature is waiting for more people wanting this also. 

Here is a link to someone else asking about this too:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Point-of-Sale-app/Sub-Categories/idi-p/364170 

Best answer #1 from 6-12-2021 is an answer for ONLINE

Best answer #2 from 11-4-2020 is an response that says basically not gonna happen Variations and Modifiers should work. 

Here is a link to the Ideate I just posted as I was writing this:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-for-Retail/Sub-Categories-For-Square-for-Retail/idi-p/3753... 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Subcats vs variations/modifiers are VERY DIFFERENT and have implicit uses for each. Why not just clump TAGS as well into the equation?

I like SRP; however, there are many basic functionalities that are missing to be a SOLID POS.

www.SLMWines.com
Premier destination for wine, beer, and spirits!
Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @VINOme I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

Seriously need the option to add sub categories to Categories in the POS Square App. I sell numerous types of Body jewelry constantly changing and the smallest pieces are 1.5mm, can't put prices tags on them. Right now the main categories are 14k gold, .925 Silver, Titanium, 316L Surgical Steel. I would love to have the ability to add sub categories to these main categories. My Titanium line alone has nearly 1000 different pieces. would love to have sub category's under Titanium such as Barbells, (have over 40 different lengths) Hoops, (have multiple different diameters)  Threadless Pins, ( over 50 different styles and sizes)  Internally threaded Horseshoes, nipple bars, Flat back studs from 20G. to 14G., I mean the list for me is endless!!! Right now my category list is enormous!!! This app would be much more functional if sub categories were an option. 

Message 5 of 6
Square Champion

Follow my last link in message 2 of this thread to give it a thumbs up..... the more people that give a thumbs up or like to an ideate the more likely Square will do it.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 6 of 6