x

Spain (EU) Support Team Question Escalation

Hello Guys,

The Spain (Spanish) Seller Community forum is pretty dead, i.e. here's a simple feature request that seems to have been forgotten starting 2 years ago:

Can somebody please turn on the "Scale" ("Bascula" in Spanish) add feature under the hardware list for the Spain Retail POS so we can connect our CAS scales?

The community here is asking for this for several years on the Spain EU Forum since 2022.

The CAS scale company is German and they tell us that the EU-Spain certified CAS-SW1 is the exact same as the USA CAS SW-RS scale that is already in use in the US. They told us that the EU scale should work with no changes to Square.  We just need to see the "Bascula / Scale" add link turned on for us.

Thanks for escalating the issue! I hope this is an easy request and it arrives to the correct team! 

Cheers from Spain,

James M.

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @JamesSpain, thanks for your post. 

La Comunidad Square in Spain is still actively being monitored and supported so feel free to continue posting there 🙂 

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I want to assure you that this particular request has not been forgotten.

Our product teams are constantly working on rolling out new features and updates. However, it's important to note that these processes require careful consideration and implementation, and they may take more time than you would expect. I don't have any timelines to share on this request currently. 

I understand the importance of having scales integrated with Square for your business, and I'll be sure to let you know of any updates here. You can also keep an eye on our Product Updates Board

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @JamesSpain, thanks for your post. 

La Comunidad Square in Spain is still actively being monitored and supported so feel free to continue posting there 🙂 

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I want to assure you that this particular request has not been forgotten.

Our product teams are constantly working on rolling out new features and updates. However, it's important to note that these processes require careful consideration and implementation, and they may take more time than you would expect. I don't have any timelines to share on this request currently. 

I understand the importance of having scales integrated with Square for your business, and I'll be sure to let you know of any updates here. You can also keep an eye on our Product Updates Board

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Breffni
Message 2 of 6

Hello! I am also in Spain, and also need to connect a scale to my POS 😥

Is there a way to just be able to read the bar codes from an external scale? (Like in the supermarket?)

Thank you, 

Farah

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hi Farah, thanks for adding to the thread. 

Barcodes can be scanned with Square but it won't work for reading weights, unfortunately. This is not something that we currently support. As soon as there is an update I will let you know @Farah-elf

Can you let me know a bit more about your business and what you need - there may be a workaround that we can think of. 

Breffni
Message 4 of 6

Hi Breffni,

Hopefully they will get back to adding a Scale in Spain ASAP - it's a major block for us.

A few possible work-arrounds might be: (would you mind checking this out?)

1. Weigh items with an EAN13 barcode scale, that encodes the price of each item into the barcode, rather than the weight?

There's an article on Square about the EAN13 barcode scale features here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7419-scanning-bar-codes-from-label-printing-scales-on-point-...

I guess the followup question would be if EAN13 barcode scanning works in Spain for Square Retail or Retail Plus, in terms of reading the price information from the EAN13 barcode?

2.  We've done a few experiments with CAS scales to see if they connect to Square:

- In Spain, using Square Register running the latest software patch:  

- Logon to Square Retail Spain, POS spain etcetera - no option is supported in the hardware add menu to add a scale currently.

- If we Logon to Square Retail USA, using the same Square Register hardware: 

- The USA version of the CAS scale (CAS RS-SW) in serial connection mode 5 is detected and works, just like in the USA.

- The Spain-EU version of the CAS scale (CAS SW) is DETECTED IN SERIAL CONNECTION MODE 5, but returns a "GENERIC ERROR". Apparently there are three versions of the scale - the CAS SW-1S, the SW-1C and SW-1W.  One of these is similar to the USA verson of CAS SW-RS in that it has a "change unit" button to change from pounds to grams, etcetera. We have not tried that EU version to see if the "generic error" is resolved in Square Retail USA. 

Hope that helps. Please add scales in Spain urgently!

Regards,

J

Message 5 of 6

Hello,

Is there any update/response to this idea of using barcodes that code for price rather than weight per the linked article from square USA?

Is there any update on comparability for a scale in Spain/Europe? 

Thanks 

Message 6 of 6