x

WHY DOESNT MY EIN NUMBER WORK?

Hello,

I am hoping someone out there could help me. I am trying to enter my EIN number however it keeps telling me that EIN number and business name do not match. Can someone assist me if they are having the same issue. Did you have to contact the IRS?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @belnailsandco,

To confirm, are you entering the EIN number and the business name exactly as displayed on the EIN card issued to you?

Be yourself. Be unique. Be bold.
Manager @ Maplelawn Farmers Market
Message 2 of 4

Yes, I am. I have contacted square about it and even sent them my EIN confirmation letter (the original) they suggested that that I call the IRS. Maybe because I just got the EIN number its not "really" in the IRS system yet because I was automatically assigned it after completely my application online. 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@belnailsandco thanks for asking about this. You will need to contact the IRS to confirm the EIN you have on file for your account. Unfortunately we do not have the ability to see what information the IRS is looking for with your business name/EIN combination - we just take what you input and ask the IRS "is this ok?" and they say yes or no.

The issue may not be the EIN. It could be the business name. If you've changed it recently or are making abbreviations, you may need to change the layout of your business name, or use your personal name. 

If you've tried all this, the best course of action would be requesting a SS-4 form from the IRS. This form is generated by the IRS and shows the information that is on file for the merchant. The first line of the SS-4 form will represent your business name and your TIN will be on the far right side of the page. Currently, this is the only form of documentation that will help out in this process.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4