x

tracking Colors AND Sizes - subcategories? modifier tracking?

Has anyone found a solution for selling clothing with multiple size color options? We've been building a seperate "item" for each color, but quickly ran out of space on our register grids, so we had to create a category for each type of shirt to group the color options under (with sizes as price points). But since there are no pictures for the categories it's become difficult to find items quickly.

We tried using modifiers for the color options, since you can't track inventory for modifiers it was difficult to keep track of what we needed. Any suggestions?

Is there an update to add subcategories or modifier tracking anywhere in the works?

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @IrishSeams, thanks for bringing this up and sorry to hear about the challenges you're running into with the app.

At this time, we aren't able to display more than five grid pages within Square Register. In addition, the ability to customize the category button isn't available. Our product liaison team is tracking both of these requests, and we'll be sure to announce any updates.

Is there any chance you keep the stock of clothing on-site? If so, you might want to consider using a bar code scanner to help speed up checking out for your most popular items. Learn more about how to set this up in our Support Center.

In the meantime, if any other sellers have any other best practices for tracking a large volume of items with multiple options and keeping a swift check-out process, please feel free to chime in! 📢

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Beta Member

I utilize square for my clothing store.  Why don't you categorize the item, then add a variation (size).  I found modifications don't work well for retail unless you are adding a price or an additional item to the clothing.  But yes, I had to make a category "Hoodie", then separate items within that category for the color : "Black Pull Over Hooded Sweatshirt"  Don't... I repeat, Don't just make item item named "Black" as the color.  You need to identify the item as the whole name and not just the color.  Because, if you have multiple clothing items that are "Black" you will never know which clothing it is in Excel.  Then add the sizes as variations to each item.  Works well to see what you are selling when you export as a csv or excel.  It is also way easier to make one item in a category then upload it to excel then cut and paste additional items, with variations to add to the category rather than do it in square.  I have 12k in items... trust me...I already trialed and errored.

Message 22 of 22