x

As a business, Did you know? the Square system saves customer emails & phone #s with their card #s

I have had receipts that just "Go" past the Option page and are sent to an embedded email or text #.

I recently received an "feedback" from the wife of a customer, who received an email about a Birthday present that the Husband purchased.  Well that Spoiled her Birthday Surprise 😛 !!!!!  

As a Business you must go to Customer Service and turn off the Collection Option.  I am sure, I will be informed that this information is in the lengthy contract, but I missed it.  And I am uncomfortable with this collection process, so I have opted out.  Don't loose control of where your receipts go...Don't Spoil the Surprise!!!!! 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

@Ppearls - So sorry to hear you found out about this feature in this manner. It is certainly sounds like a bad customer experience. 😕  Thanks for calling this out though! If you don't wish to use automatic receipts, you can certainly reach out directly, and we can disable this feature. 

If you would like more details on automatic receipts, check out this Support Center article.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 4

The automatic receipts is the problem. If a customer has sent a receipt to an email in the past and does not want to send it to that email again, there is no option for the customer....the receipt just goes.

There is no stopping it and there is no way for the customer to know where that receipt is going. In my case, the wife used the card on a totally differant Square purchase and sent the receipt to herself...then the Husband used the same card for a gift for his wife...A surprise for her. The Wife recieved an emailed receipt for a purchase she did not make and ask the Husband as soon as he gets home...thinking someone else is using their card for an unauthorized purchase.

Do you not see the problem here?
Your system is taking away the customer's choice of where the receipt should be delivered.

You say that the customer has the option to turn this off from the receipt they receive...In my case, Wife was OK with it but the Husband knew nothing about it.  When you have multiple people using a card number...this system of collecting emails & phone numbers does not work. 

Message 3 of 4
Square

@Ppearls That's definitely not the goal of automatic receipts, as Sean mentioned your customer's can turn off that function but also you can disable automatic receipts for your Square Account so no automatic receipts go out to any of your customers. 

While it's not a setting in your Square Dashboard, you can give our Support Team a call and they can assist in getting that disabled on your account. If you have any trouble, check out this thread to get in touch with our team. 

Message 4 of 4