x

Chip reader firmware won't update

When I try to connect my chip reader, it says that it can't connect because the firmware needs to update.  It tells me to leave the app open for 5-10 minutes.  I have tried this multiple times and it will still not connect.  I am using a 4th gen iPad and my iOS is up to date along with the latest square app (I uninstalled it and re-installed it on the iPad).

Anyone else having an issue with this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

I'm sorry for the frustration @Dradamdavis. Have you tried resetting your reader? To do this press the power button for 20 seconds >  wait 10 seconds > and then press the power button again until the lights reappear. 

I also recommend making sure you have a strong wifi or data connection while updating the firmware. 

Other sellers have reported that unpairing the reader from your device before resetting it has resolved this issue. To unpair the reader: go to the Settings section of the app > tap Card Readers > tap on your reader from the list > tap Forget this Reader.

If you continue to have trouble please call our Support team so we can investigate this further. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 10

Thank you for your response.  I have reset the reader as you described (just tried it again, actually) and it has not resolved the issue.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Sorry to hear that @Dradamdavis, thanks for trying! If you haven't already go ahead and get in touch with our Support team. They'll be able to help you further and help you to get a new reader under warranty if needed.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 10

Thank you, I have submitted a claim.

Message 5 of 10

Squire Reader wont Update .

I removed the App and reinstalled for my Samsung Phone. 

disconnected the device from App and re-paired nothing work 

app download 99% then Reader automatically disconnected  and again App stated download the updated again99%  same thig happened. its kind of loop never end 

what is the solution please help 

Message 6 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello @tastyheatsfoods

Do you have one of our contactless readers or a magstripe reader?

Thank you for answering so we can send you the appropriate troubleshooting steps!

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 10

We also have a contactless chip reader that is consantly updating, it gets to 99%, reboots, then starts to update again, and again, and again.  We have good wifi, and a newer android phone.  I have reset the reader,  reinstalled the square app,  nothing seems to work. 

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @rootsfromeden,

Thanks for writing in and sorry to hear about the frustrating experience with your Square Reader! 

If you've already gone through troubleshooting, and have gotten in touch with our team, take a look at our warranty process for your Square Reader. 

Message 9 of 10

Regarding the update loop issue, refer to my answer to this thread: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Chip-reader-update-issue-restarts-at-99-updated/m...

Message 10 of 10