x

Contact reader won't connect with Pixel 2.

Hi all.  I see that the Google pixel 2 XL is not compatible with the contact chip reader, however there is an actual advertisement from square stating that the pixel 2 is compatible with the reader via Bluetooth connection.  Despite this, I cannot get the reader to connect with my pixel2.  I have gone through Google support and verified that the Bluetooth version is compatible with square reader and checked to make sure everything is updated. But nothing works.  I either get an error message saying the incorrect passkey was entered (I was never prompted to enter a passkey), or just an error message instructing me to hold the button on my reader until the lights flash red and try again.   

When I search via google for this issue, I have seen several threads on this forum stating that the contact reader works with the pixel 2 when connected via Bluetooth but NOT usb.  What gives.  Extremely frustrated right now.  Is it, or is it not possible?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @Mtorres, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble! 

The Contacltess and Chip Card Reader is compatible with the Google Pixel 2. I noticed it wasn't listed on our device compatibility page, so I've reached out to get that updated. If you're running the most recent version of Square Point of Sale it should be able to pair without issue. 

I'd love to help you get this reader connected. Just a quick question are you pairing the reader on the settings page of the Point of Sale app? 

Message 2 of 6

I'm pairing it in the square app.  It times out every time saying that the incorrect pin was entered (there was no prompt for a pin).  

Message 3 of 6

@Mtorres, that's definitely odd. I've never seen this error message displayed before.

I know our Engineering Team could definitely look into this issue. Have you reached out to our Customer Success Team about this? A video of the error message would be extremely helpful as well! 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 😀

Message 4 of 6

We're you able to get this to work? I have an event I need to use a reader for next week and I have a Google pixel 2. I'm wondering if it's worth trying. 

Message 5 of 6

In a word?  Sometimes.  I ended up buying a square point of sale stand with an iPad because it just wasn't a reliable task.  That said, I have noticed that Bluetooth is less finicky on the latest Android updates for my pixel (no more issues with it not connecting to the car for hands free if I get out of the car and get back in on the same call or trouble with it connecting if I'm on the phone before I turn the car on), so you may not have trouble anymore.

Message 6 of 6