x

Contactless and chip reader not pairing

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my iPad anymore. I've tried uninstalling the square app and reinstalling it. I've restarted my iPad and everything is on the latest update. But when I try to pair the orange lights just keep flashing but never connects. The same thing happens when I try to connect to the app on my iPhone.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 97
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My

Have you completed any troubleshooting yet, @kmehos33?

Start here!

If you still need a hand, our support team can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mysnailsandme, welcome to the seller community!

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your chip reader and thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot. That definitly shouldn't be happening. 🤔

There are a few more pairing troubleshooting tips in our Support Center that may resolve this right away — you'll want to double check that your reader is fully charged, Bluetooth is turned on, and that you have a strong internet connection. Have a look here for more information: My Reader won’t pair with my device.

If you're still encountering this issue after giving it another try with those steps in mind, please let our Support Team know or reply here with any other details on what's going on. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

Is there a way I can change that? 

Message 22 of 97
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Ck3

Stepping in for Isabelle here. Currently, there isn't a way to change this. 

Being able to change it would be a Feature Request. I would be happy to tag this as such for our Product Team. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 97

That would be great! 

Message 24 of 97

I cannot get my Samsung Galaxy A11 to see my square reader. What am I missing?

Message 25 of 97

Hi there, @Fairtradedv 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! So sorry to hear about the trouble with your Reader! We are here to help.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding troubleshooting their Contactless & Chip Card reader. Take a look at this Best Answer from Tom - he will point you to the best resources for troubleshooting. 

Feel free to reach back out if you have any clarifying questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 97

Hi there, I've gone through all of the basic pairing procols and cannot get the reader to pair. The "support" team has been ineffective.

Message 27 of 97

the same thing happened to me i tuned everthing off and unpluged them over night. reconnected in the morning turned them on a bam it worked.

Message 28 of 97

Thanks! That worked. I unplugged my reader overnight and plugged it back in and it paired right up!

Message 29 of 97
Admin

Thanks for chiming in, @1977mdusa — really glad to hear you were able to get the contactless reader to work!

If you don't mind sharing, can you let us know which type of device you were using  (e.g. iOS vs. Android) and when you first noticed the pairing issue. We'll keep an eye on this.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 30 of 97

I know for me it just started in the morning when I went to ring out a client. 

But someone did contact me from square and suggested I submit a warranty claim to receive a new reader. 

Message 31 of 97

I am having the same issue. The reader will not pair with my Iphone 6. It worked perfectly yesterday, but this morning every time I try to pair it finds the reader but then reports 'Failed to pair'. I have tried all the steps suggested in the support article. I cannot afford to wait until tomorrow, I need it to work today, now, I am losing customers.

Its the weekend so support is not available

Andy help much appreciated

Message 32 of 97

Hi @Malindi

Have you tried a hard reset?

This usually resolves issues with that same error you're receiving. 

Hold down the button on the front of the reader until you see 4 flashing red lights. Let me know if that helps 👍🏼

Message 33 of 97

Big kiss to you - hard reset fixed my pairing issue :0)

Message 34 of 97

I am having the same issue. It starts the pairing process, the chip reader eventually flashes green and then I get a "failed to pair". I've tried all the troubleshooting and made sure my system and apps are up to date/ compatible. I need this to work or I'm going to have to look into a different pos.

Message 35 of 97
Admin

@ECarrArt 

If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps we'd suggest two things:

1.  Uninstall the App and reinstall it, paying close attention to the steps to Reset reader. Many times after we've had an update the reader needs a firmware update to fix pairing issues. When you reinstall and then reset, this can trigger the firmware update on the reader.
  2. Contact our Customer Success team if you are still having issues with this after reinstalling and resetting. There may be some additional troubleshooting they can provide. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 36 of 97

My contactless card reader will not reconnect to my iPad? All I get is 4 green lights. What am I missing?

Message 37 of 97
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:

Card reader won’t flash orange to connect. Only all green.

Four green lights means the reader is fully charged, so that's a good sign @acacia!

I've moved your post here so you can see Tom's troubleshooting steps for pairing the reader with your device.

If you're still not able to pair the reader you could reset the reader as suggested by EJ. To reset press the button on the reader until you see 4 flashing red lights.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 38 of 97

I also am having trouble with pairing the chip card reader.  I've done all the suggested steps and still not getting it.  Any other suggestions.   Card reader is flashing but not connecting.   Have done the uninstall and re-install.  Have done the shut down and restart.   Have done the restart of the card reader.  Not sure what else to try.

Message 39 of 97

I tried all the steps as well, and still won't connect for me.. tho I did get the four flashing orange lights when I did a hard reset, it still won't connect .. any other useful suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

Message 40 of 97

Hey @Mbradley, is your device running the most up to date operating system?

Also are you getting an error message when trying to connect the reader? 

Message 41 of 97

Hello @DM2! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. 

Have you checked the Bluetooth settings on your tablet to see if the tablet can be view-able to other devices? Also have you tried forgetting the reader from your tablet if its visible? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 

Message 42 of 97