x

Credit card chip stuck in my terminal

Hello - we had a customer with a loose credit card chip in his card and somehow a piece of it got stuck in our Square Terminal when the card was being removed.   Now our chip reader will not work.  😞  Has anyone had this happen and if so, how can you fix it?  We haven't had our Square Terminal that long and I really don't want to buy another one. Thanks - Cindy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Oh no @StumptownAles!

Have you tried just turning it over and shaking it out?

If you can't get it out, I'd recommend going through the Warranty process.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

I tried to run a card a couple weeks ago and it would not go in smoothly. I got the card out and it had no damage but it looked like a sticker had peeled off of the top inside of the reader. Reader ruined..

Prior took about a year to get to reader working smoothly, all sorts of connectivity issues, many rounds of sofware updates.

In many cases it would have been quicker for the customer to walk to the bank and bring back cash or a cashier's check or write a check.

Magstripe reader works pretty well....you just have to swipe the card about a dozen or so times and eventually it will read. Customers get suspicious when you do that though.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@wiggs

We'll really need you to reach out to our Customer Success team so they can troubleshoot this for you. We need feedback like this in the case something may need to be replaced on your device. Please reach out when you get a chance. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 4 of 4