x

Customers are not getting my invoices

When I create and email an invoice, I get a copy of the invoice in my email inbox, but the client never gets it.  I have to go to the actual invoice myself and use the drop down menu to copy the link to the invoice and then email that link to the client.  I don't know what changed.  There was a problem until a few months ago.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Katie, I was trying to help a provider who was not really familiar with Square to send me an invoice for some tile work.  His invoices from the app WOULD NOT GO THROUGH.  They are not in my spam folder, and it’s as if he never sent them.  He can see in his dashboard that they HAVE been sent.  They just aren’t making it to me.  I’m on an iPhone using the built-in mail app with an email tied to my personal domain through GoDaddy.

I was able to log into my iPhone Square Point of Sale and create an invoice that he could receive.  He’s on Gmail and using an Android.  It went through just fine.

WORKAROUND: I was able to guide him through the menu to the invoices tab on the app, then have him click on my invoice, then scroll all the way to the bottom to the “MORE” button, and then he was able to text the invoice link to me.  It worked fine.

I don’t know what the problem is, but I agree with the person who said it is unprofessional.  He’s not a tech guy, so we literally spent an hour and a half trying to work around this, with him almost driving 4 hours roundtrip to have me swipe the card to pay his first draw.  I wasn’t comfortable giving out the credit card over the phone since this is his first job with us.  The beauty of the invoice is that our card is hidden from the recipient.  As a Square user myself, I was able to help walk him through it, but if this was an average customer, this would have been a much bigger issue.

Message 22 of 31
Admin

Hey @Glasskatz, Tom stepping in for Katie today.

Thanks for taking the time to share your workaround here and I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble you encountered. I'll be surfacing your experience with our Invoices Team.

It sounds like this shouldn't be happening. If you notice this issue again, please send the payment details to our Customer Success team directly—they'll be able to take a look behind the scenes to make sure everything is working correctly.

Let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 23 of 31

ongoing issue. I have a client who cannot find any of the invoices despite checking spam etc.  Finally emailed her the direct links, but I would like to just send invoices and have them work. It's much more professional than having to provide workarounds to your clients for your invoicing system. It's just this client. They have a @theircompanyname email address and have had on and off problems for the last few months regarding square invoices

Message 24 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @gottahaveaname. We appreciate you jumping in on this thread and sharing your experience.

Have you flagged this over to our Support Team directly? Square was recently impacted by an ongoing email notification issue regarding Microsoft & Outlook based email services. However, this should be resolved now. Feel free to reach out to our Team with more info and we will take a deep dive with you!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 25 of 31

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Invoices

How long does it take for an invoice to be emaild to customer.  They have not received it yet.

Message 26 of 31
Alumni

They should receive it immediately. Tell your customer to check spam and any inbox filters. We also recommend them add invoicing@messaging.squareup.com to their email contacts so your invoices route properly. 

If your customer is still having issues receiving them, they'll need to contact their ESP for further assistance. 

@yolandapenbrook

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 27 of 31

If there's one thing which we can rely on in this thread, it's for yet-another-user having problems with emails not being SENT to receive the inevitable reply stating that the solution is to get their customer to check their spam/junk folder, add square to their white/allow list.. blah blah blah...

At no point, I suspect, has anybody on the technical team at Square taken the time to actually investigate the problem at THEIR end.

Let me be absolutely clear now.  When these emails are not being picked up by clients it is because THE CLIENT'S MAILBOX/SERVER NEVER *RECEIVES* THE EMAIL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

It does not go into Junk... because it never arrives.

This problem has existed for *years*.  It's almost certainly due to the Square mailserver being blacklisted, and configuration changes needing to be made at your end.  Given that the service providers for most of the people I've had problems with have been such little known companies as "Microsoft", "Google", and "Yahoo".. I think it's safe to say THEY aren't the problem either. 

I literally have not been able to email invoices since I started using Square... and still can't.  I had to give up trying to walk clients through checking their spam folder, having them asking where my invoices were, me chasing payments they'd never been asked for.  Instead, I have to manually copy the invoice link and send them an email/message manually *every single time* to ensure they will receive it.

Admin - please - stop for one second. Stop assuming the problem must be at our end. Just imagine for a moment - just PRETEND - that it's at *your* end, and think about how you might fix it.

I rate Square very highly in every respect apart from this. So, you know, how about to trying not to lose some customers?

Message 28 of 31

The answer is never. This has been an issue for years now, and Square has yet to resolve it. I have to directly email my clients with a link to the invoice in order for them to receive it. It is quite frustrating. 

Message 29 of 31

Half of my customers are not receiving their invoices. I have to keep resending them until they magically appear. HELP

Message 30 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @Lexi_Sulser 🎉

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your invoices! I moved you over to this thread where other sellers are discussing the issue. 

If the suggestions in the thread do not help, I recommend reaching out to our support team for additional assistance. 

Message 31 of 31