x

Dashboard session timeout

Within the last week or so, Dashboard started logging me out after a period of inactivity.  This is annoying as I'm used to being logged in all day and coming back to it as needed, and now I have to log back in MANY times a day.  Is there a way to turn this off or adjust in settings or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 166
4 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer
Mackenzie here from the Product Insights team – I definitely hear the frustration in the thread, and agree that this change could have been handled better. Although from one perspective we've fixed the bug that kept everybody logged in indefinitely, I completely understand how the bug resulted in new workflows that you relied on – workflows that were disrupted when we implemented a fix without warning you ahead of time.

Your account security is our top concern, and we're always evaluating how to balance safety with experience. I hear your desire for customization, and I've let our product management team know so they can track the request. For now, we'll probably be leaving the timeout as-is, so I recommend using one of the password tools mentioned elsewhere on the thread to help make the experience a little more convenient.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback.

View Best Answer >

Message 39 of 166

Best Answer

If you are using Firefox the 'Auto Reload Tab' extension by Alan Ramsey may help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/auto-reload-tab/

The extension allows you to set a time interval, after which, the page will be reloaded,

keeping the session kept alive. It has pre-set intervals that can be selected or you can

add you own interval time. It also provides the option to reset the timer whenever

you react with the page (type/click) so it will not reload while your working.

I haven't lookd but there may be similar extension/add-ons for other browsers.

Seems to me that this it the feature that Square should provide intrinsically.

View Best Answer >

Message 96 of 166
Super Seller

Message 97 of 166
Beta Member

Best Answer

While a fix from Square would be ideal I use 'Super Auto Refresh Plus' extension for Chrome.

It's free, works on several pages and you can set the refresh times.

Typical for me is the main Square PC dashboard page on auto refresh for every 15 minutes.  This way if I need to enter a customer, create an invoice, etc. I'm logged in all day.  I just have to remember to go back to the home page when I'm done or it will time out.  It remembers the page you set it on so even after shutting down it will be on automatically next time you open that page.

View Best Answer >

Message 123 of 166
165 REPLIES 165

Yes, please make it an adjustable setting.  My computer is also secure, and as Robert said, we should have the choice to accept the risk or not.  Thanks.

Message 22 of 166
Alumni

Hi @llij96@Robert-H, & @TwistedRail - Completely understand your frustration and apologies again. We're constantly thinking about ways to improve your account security so that was the reasoning for this bug fix. I'll definitely pass on your requests though.

Message 23 of 166

This has become so annoying to me that I have instructed all of my employees to stop taking credit cards unless the client has no other way to pay.

Message 24 of 166

Fixing security without consideration to user experience is a half measure solution.

Message 25 of 166

Seems like this could be a setting that users could change. We find it very anonying as well.

Message 26 of 166

We find this very problematic as well. We use Chrome browser and now have a tab open that runs this extension on a 5 min interval to keep the Square session active. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh/ifooldnmmcmlbdennkpdnlnbgbmfalko Heads up, pick a simple screen like the dashboard to refresh (https://squareup.com/dashboard/), duplicate this tab, and minimize it. The login session timer will be reset for all tabs logged into Square.

Sure wish this was a user configurable setting, a smaller default is fine, but other users work in a secure setting and the session timeout should be customizable.

Message 27 of 166

Thank you for this tip Gigis! You're the Best!!! It works well for this and other things I want to keep logged into! 

Message 28 of 166
Beta Member

The problem I have is that many times I have 3-4 windows open (Invoices, Appointments, Sales, and Marketing).  Every Timeout I have to sign back into every open window and I have to wait until each window fully loads up before I can log in to the next screen.  It's a huge waste of time for nothing, really.  
Thanks for looking into it.  

Can you also enable clients making online appointments to add the location of the appointment?  I do real estate photography and video and most of my appointments are placed without locations attached.  Thanks again........mike

Message 29 of 166

I am so frustrated because clearly after this update to fix some security issue has really caused me a lot of issues. I can login every time but even once I login I immediately get the error message of "You have been signed out due to inactivity. Please sign in again." This error message shows up immediately after I logon through my desktop. I am unable to accomplish anything through the desktop because this error message continuously pops up no matter how many times I login. This is so frustrating but is clearly a huge issue because once I sign in I should be able to work for a while but I can't do anything because it automatically signs me right back out stating its due to inactivity. Please fix this. I understand that logging out is a security feature and that's fine but at least make it possible for me to accomplish a simple task. I should have more than 20 seconds to perform my tasks but it logs me out immediately. Please fix this

Message 30 of 166

I am having exactly the same issue as Derekgrgurich .  I am unable to accomplish any work at all from my desktop since

Square logs me out "due to inactivity" as soon as I log in.  PLEASE FIX THIS!

Message 31 of 166
Alumni

Yikes  @Iniaburg - seems incredibly frustrating that you're unable to run your biz due to the Dashboard logging out immediately. 

I haven't ran into any reports about this recently which makes me think you might be running into browser issue. Have you tried clearing your cache? What browser are you using to surf the Dashboard? 

Let me know how it goes after you've exhausted these browser troubleshooting tips

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 32 of 166

Thank you, @JustinC .  Clearing my browser cache did seem to fix the issue.  I use MS Edge.  I appreciate your advice and troubleshooting links.  

Message 33 of 166

My dash board logs me out constantly! Lately (past month or so) after only a few minutes, then sometimes I have to re-log in 2-3 times in a row immediately after hitting log in! Its the worst when I'm validating time cards. Sometimes I have to log in or reset 2-5 times just to get one edit to stick! 

I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS!

Message 34 of 166

It looks like from the comments on this page that there is no hope of square fixing this annoying "security feature". Auto logout on square is the bane of my existence. I will look into some of the products mentioned above to get around it but it **bleep**es me off that I have to use them.

Message 35 of 166
Beta Member

Add another business that would like the opportunity to set the timeout session.  It's way too short and is also annoying to us now that it has started happening this week.   Thank you.

Message 36 of 166

This thread has been created by merging posts.

I leave my Square Appointment window open and add Notes for my clients. Never had an issue in the past, but now, it times out and I have to log back in, erasing what I've typed.  Is there a way to change this?

Message 37 of 166
Super Seller

there was a bug that was corrected that logs you out for security like your credit card and banks do.  It was found that on a certain browser and OS that the login inactivity timeout wasn't working correctly.

Message 38 of 166
Alumni

Best Answer
Mackenzie here from the Product Insights team – I definitely hear the frustration in the thread, and agree that this change could have been handled better. Although from one perspective we've fixed the bug that kept everybody logged in indefinitely, I completely understand how the bug resulted in new workflows that you relied on – workflows that were disrupted when we implemented a fix without warning you ahead of time.

Your account security is our top concern, and we're always evaluating how to balance safety with experience. I hear your desire for customization, and I've let our product management team know so they can track the request. For now, we'll probably be leaving the timeout as-is, so I recommend using one of the password tools mentioned elsewhere on the thread to help make the experience a little more convenient.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback.
Message 39 of 166

If this keeps timing me out thoughout my day I will switch to a different POS for both of my business by the end of the month.

Message 40 of 166

I am doing the same.  The Square development team does not care because if they did, they would have told us about the change and how it affects our workflow.

Message 41 of 166

This is not the answer! We are running a business and cannot be dealing with being logged out because Square doesn't have a grasp on security on their end. This is extremely frustrating and inconvenience. 

Message 42 of 166