x

Delay and Lag on Selecting Items in Square Register

Got our new Square Register in December. Loving it! However, we have experienced some lag or delay when selecting items during checkout. We will touch the item and it does not get added. Or we do a search for an item, comes up, but when touching it, still does not get added. During these instances, we aren't able to scroll through the items either. After going in and out of different menu screens, the problem seems to go away. But there have been some times we have had to reboot. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Square support, is there any suggestions on why this might be happening or how we can fix it?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Thanks. Let them know upstairs were rubbing out of patience. 

Message 22 of 35

When using the new layout I experience extreme lag, when I switched back to the old layout the lag vanished.  Seems to be something with their new UI, avoid that until it's resolved.  (note: factory reseting had no effect)

Message 23 of 35

How do you switch back? Are you using the restaurant setting on the register or the standard?

we use restaurant

thanks for reaching out

Message 24 of 35

How do you switch back? I’m working on the restaurant setting on the register. Are you using standard? Desperate to get it back to the previous system.

thanks for your help!

Message 25 of 35

It's under settings, there's blue text toward the top that asks you if you'd like to switch to new layout or revert to previous layout.

Message 26 of 35
Beta Member

We are having the same issue. We are extremely busy. We need this resolved! The ipads never had this issue.

Message 27 of 35

Just got our terminal yesterday, it was working great, then it updated over night and now we just have a blank screen with the square logo. When I power cycle it, the software loads but you can barely use it, there is a terrible lag 

Message 28 of 35
Beta Member

Just upgraded to the Square Register from using iPads. Was great for the first day we had it running. Today the unit lags horribly. Our iPads (which are all 3-4 years old) all work at normal pace with no lag. The register is SOOOOOO SLOOOOOW! Hate it and will be returning it.

Message 29 of 35
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Cheesemonger,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community again, welcome back!  We are sorry to hear about the lag time for the Register. I can assure you this is not normal behavior.  

Do you think its a possibility it needs an update? Also consider a factory reset:

To reset your Square Terminal:
1. If you have taken any offline transactions, be sure to reconnect to the internet and process them before proceeding. Pending offline payments will be permanently lost and the funds won’t be captured when you reset your device.
2. In the upper left hand corner, tap the three horizontal lines.
3. Select Settings > Hardware.
4. Tap General > About Terminal.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Factory Reset > Confirm Factory Reset.
6. Tap Reset one last time. From here the countdown will begin and your Terminal will reset.

I have also included this guide to assist in further troubleshooting. Let me know if any of this helped! 😊

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 30 of 35

Lol. Tried all that. Even got a replacement register and now can’t get a refund as square doesn’t refund replacement. Trapped. 

Message 31 of 35
Beta Member

Yes. I did all that and it did not solve the problem.

Message 32 of 35

Good luck. They have no idea how to fix it and will just keep saying it’s unusual. Our register crashes at least 4 times a day 

Message 33 of 35

Ha, they’ll keep trying to tell you it’s “not normal” probably send you a new register. Then as soon as the new one updates it will lag again. I bought my original register from officeworks, then had the replacement sent by square to try fix the issue. Now can’t get a refund as they don’t issue refunds on replacements. Good luck! Terrible technology 

Message 34 of 35

Lowering the brightness of the display solved my lagging issue. Don’t know why but it worked.

Message 35 of 35